60k service

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Garner

Reaction score
Hello,

Just found the site and joined. My '04 is coming up on 60k and my service contract is up. While I fancy myself a motorhead of sorts I have never so much as turned a screw on the Sport Trac as all servicing up to this point was done at the dealer. Now that I will be doing the servicing under my shade tree I have looked over the 60k service and am a little confused about swapping out the fluid in the xfer case and trans... the whole Mercon ATF / Mercon V business. Am confused about (1) brand names and (2) just drain 'em both and fill with Mercon V ?

Thanks,

Dave

Mercon ATF is not the same as Mercon V.

The Tranny calls for Mercon V and the T-Case uses Mercon ATF.

Tom

Flushing the transmission is worth the $119 or so to a dealer or shop to do it for you, IMO.

The transfer case on the other hand is very easy to do yourself if you buy a suction gun to fill it with.

I did a Member Project on it, it's in that section.

Mercon V is supposed to be the next step up from Mercon, and Mercon V should work just fine wherever Mercon is specified. Don't put Mercon in anything that needs Mercon V, though!