70K mile Gen 2 V8 Radiator Leak !! UPDATE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Well just got bit by the 70K mile Gen2 v8 radiator leak..... Ordered a new one, Same size,,,,, Some replacements are not Be careful !!

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I always figured I'd replace it with an aluminum one if it mine goes out. I'm around 80,000 miles

Replaced mine at about that distance as well. Hardest part was the trans line fittings and making sure they were aligned properly and seated well. Also replacing the bit of trans fluid wasn't a picnic either. Had to buy a pump to pump it up into the fill hole.

The Rad is ridged mounted. It doesn't move. I bet that is the issue, Body twist is racking it causing failure.

I will modify my mounting when in there.

Todd Z

Were you using the stock 21psi rad cap? I switched to a 16psi cap when i bought the truck 4 years ago from reading about all the failures. Also use a 180deg t-stat. Mine has 78k on the stock rad with no leaks so far... (Finds wood to knock on..)

I switched to a 16psi cap

I changed mine too at the same time as I changed the radiator. I can't recall the psi (ST is in the Trans shop now and can't go out and look) but I think I put an 18 on it.

Mine went around 75k. Had extended warranty which paid to replace it. Switched to a 16 lb cap after that also. The cap on my son's 2000 V6 Mustang is the same size and 16 lb if you need to know what to ask for.

Update,

Replaced with the same size core rad, there are cheaper ones out there, and 16PSI cap.

The dam tranny lines, 1 side went perfect. The other I broke 2 OTC tools, WHY?????

The Dam fitting was a defective POS !!! the split lock inside the fitting HAD NO SPLIT !!! I had to dremel the fitting in half, being careful not to cut the line, what a PITA but its done and fingers crossed we are good !!!

Todd Z

Latest posts