8.8 Axle Swap in a 1961 F100

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay Campbell

Reaction score
Hows it going guys?

Its been a while since I have posted here but when I came across this issue I knew you guys would be the people to talk to. I recently picked up a 1961 F100 stepside with a 302 from a 78' mustang in it. I have since torn it down to bare block and bare frame.

Before I build it back up I was planning on putting in a mustang II front end. The rear axle in it is a Ford 9 inch but it is not a LSD. I started thinking of ways to make it LSD. Since the new front suspension will be 5x4.5 lug pattern I thought maybe I could put in an 8.8 axle like the ones in our trucks and match the bolt patterns.

So my questions are do you guys think this is a good idea? The truck will have around 320-350hp when all is said and done. Will an 8.8 stand up to this?

If this axle is strong enough then I guess my next task is to figure out measurements to make sure it will fit and start figuring out where I can find an LSD 8.8.

Thanks in advance guys.

Clay

P.S. Here is a link to my photobucket that has all the project pics from the truck as well as some from my BMW project and a few other things for those that may be interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it should be fine. The 8.8 isn't great for payload but I don't expect this truck will have that use.

I would collect the cost of staying 9" and using a 9" traction-lok or some locker. Get your converted axles from moser or else where. So you can stay 5/4.5 bolt pattern.

Vs the cost of converting to a 8.8"

The 8.8" will hold the HP and TQ you are looking at with 31spline axles.

The ford 9" cant be beat for strength. I dont set up cariers myself. In the old days I liked the idea of snatching the 9" out. Then taking it to a tech. Not haveing to leave the car or truck at a shop.

This truck will not be a trailer queen but it wont be pulling any trailers either. We wont be putting a hitch on it I dont think. It will be driven back and forth to work on pretty days and around town on the weekends.

I forgot to mention that we are wanting to go disc brakes so I thought that would be another plus for the 8.8. I know we can get disc brake kits for the 9" but if a 9" is unnecessary I dont know if it is worth spending the extra money. We are already going to be spending a lot on the motor and body work. Our budget is not small but we don't want to waste money.

I dont remember what year, but. The later 'stangs axle housings are 1" wider.

If that helps when checking salavage.

Well I ended up going with an 8.8 from a 97 explorer with a 3.73 and LSD.

So the frame is now sitting on all 4 wheels. Front suspension is 07 Crown Vic interceptor. Rear suspension is the 8.8 with stock f100 springs with the axle moved to the top. Haven't make up shock mounts yet so I am not sure what I am going with there.

I picked up some bullitt wheels from an 01 stang the other day for $225 with tires good enough to get me rolling for a while. So here is how its sitting right now

e9c1a1b770cc6640078f90e03d9bd5bb.jpg

5d62f3fd8fb095e31754e17a1191e510.jpg

fa3f42d64b34895446b742ace7912a7e.jpg

I also got the body blasted and primed so I can start cutting out all the rusted out panels and welding in new ones soon.

20a1c928f6224767251c7502dcf9fbd4.jpg

e3ccfa4cb4bb71079d4e303492f868b9.jpg

895d8a0b8863de72b41c2931a4cb22c8.jpg

Very cool! Nice progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts exactly Steve. The thought of leaving it in the cab scares me. The plan right now is to put it right behind the rear axle. I think a 65 mustang tank may fit but I may end up going with a fuel cell. I think that will help with weight distribution as well.

Its funny to go back and read post that had my goals for the truck before we started. I said it would have around 300 hp... Well we got a little carried away with the motor and stroked it out to a 331 with a fully balanced eagle rotating assembly and mild street cam, aluminum heads, yada yada and ended somewhere around the 400hp range.

Don't remember this post...

The 8.8 will do nicely in this application, it's traction that kills rearends. Pickups with street tires don't usually get the best traction so you should be golden there.

Glad to see you went another route on the front suspension