A/C Compressor Bypass Switch Alteration ??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiveDeep 07

Reaction score
Ok, I use to own a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo. The A/C controls were similar to that of a Chevrolet/GMC Tahoe/Yukon/XL. The controls contain a A/C on-off button. The thing I loved about my Jeep as well as the other SUV's during the summer, was that you could turn the A/C on and such and let it cool the cabin of the vehicle down. Once cooled, you could turn the A/C off and keep the interior circulation fan running and keeping the COLD air flowing without the compressor running. This helps with saving fuel and energy. What I am wanting to do is install a switch in the A/C line that, when turned on, will turn the compressor on and when turned off, will turn the compressor off and leave the circulation fan running. Please let me know if this could be possible and maybe which wire or wires need to be tapped into with the switch. This picture is of the control panel that I had in my Jeep. This is of someone else's though. As you can see in the picture, the A/C button, as well as the circulation (1st function up from the OFF position). Thanks, DD ST

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy to do. I suggest splicing in to the wire harness in front of the relay for the A/C compressor (Clutch). That way, you do not have to run heavy wire or deal with additional fuses. Simply jump you switch in front of the relay is all...

Yep, That was discussed at length a few years ago. Nearly all GM cars have the AC on/off button as you described. I know someone installed an Explorer Climate Control system in their Sport Trac and even did a project on the swap, but I don't know if anyone has just added the AC on/off switch.

...Rich

I wouldnot think it to be very practical in our southern humidity. On hot humid days in Houston, I run max air. It doesnt take long for the humidity to seep back in on somedays...

Eddie, I had my Jeep and I loved having this setup! Yes, it did need to be kicked on after a while, but it is nice to be able to shut it off for a few miles and just circulate the cooled air. It also gives the engine a break for a bit, to cool off on our hot humid days here in the south. I am in Louisiana, I know what you mean!

Coastie,

Where is the relay that I need to splice into located? Also, which wire do I splice? Or is there only one?

-Also, can you get ahold of hood vents from a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 5.9L Limited? I know this is awkward that I am asking for info similar to a Jeep as well as vents from a Jeep, but it's something I've been looking into inconsistently for several months.

- Also, any chance of getting a cheap Mustang GT Hood scoop similar to the ones the guys on here are using on their ST's?

I appreciate everything fellas! Thanks, DD ST

Latest posts