A/C compressor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha, my wife's Jeep A/C isn't cold when driving under 30 mph. The freon charge is good. Everything has been replaced but the compressor. I want to put a jumper from the battery to the clutch to be sure that the compressor is going at slow speeds. My question is, will having the compressor on all the time, have any bad effect on the computer?

TKS Ed

Sorry. Meant to reply in the thread above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi 1tech, it is a 1995 Grand Cherokee Limited. 89K miles, 5.2 L engine, all wheel drive. We have owned the car 11 years and have replaced the A/C system twice. If the compressor is bad, this will be the 4th that I know of. We are the second owners. But, my wife likes the car.

TKS Ed

If the ac is not as cold as it should be at lower speeds but fine once moving I would suspect a cooling fan issue. How have you verified the system charge? Do you have a set of ac gauges to monitor the system pressures?.

You can easily test the compressor by looking at the pressures.

Perhaps condenser cooling issues or system may be contaminated with non-condensables. Suggest you get to a qualified automotive air conditioning technician with the proper equipment to diagnose the system. He may want to vacuum it down to 400 microns and recharge with clean and proper refrigerant and oil in the correct amounts.

Yea, I understand all that. The fan clutch is new, I just want to be sure the compressor is compressing at lower speeds, as it should.

God bless guys. Ed

Latest posts