A Question About XCal Tunes and Power Pulleys

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
OK, so I've now got pretty much all of the mods installed that help my ST "breathe" better:

1. Zabteck True CAI, C&L MAF housing, and TB

2. R/T Y-pipe and high-flow cat

3. Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 muffler (single-out)

Other performance mods include the PD Screamin' Demon coil pack and Livewires plug wires. I've also performed the transmission EPC adjustment.

I'm planning on installing the U/D crank and H20 pump pulleys, and the O/D alternator pulley in the next few months, and maybe an electric fan later down the road.

Here's my question:

I'm also getting ready to buy an XCal w/custom tunes. If I buy one with tunes based on the current mods, will I need new tunes after the pulleys are installed? Or should I wait on custom tunes until after the pulleys are installed rather than getting some now, and having to get new tunes later?

Note: I'm also posing this same question to both Doug and Torrie, but I also value the opinions of the "experts" on this site.:)

not 100% but when i looked into it I think you'll be fine with the tune u'll have. someone will chime in a def answer. thats the exact set up i had... wait till you tune it!!! ohh mother!!!

Thanks, Woppy and Bill. That's what I was thinking too, but just wanted to confirm.

Reaper,

What I was trying to avoid was paying for a XCal and tunes now, and then having to buy new tunes later.

Andy, you keep going and you'll be trying to race me next year.

:lol: Maybe, ya never know...

Now, if I had a spare $15,000 laying around to build a real monster Sport Trac...

$4500 - Super Six Motorsports Short Block

$1850 - Super Six Motorsports Heads

$575 - Super Six Motorsports Cams

$4195 - EE Supercharger

$3298 - Level 10 Transmission

Sigh... A man can dream:D

As far as the tunes, go, based on what others here have said, it doesn't really seem worthwhile to get the economy tunes. The consensus seems to be that as long as you drive sensibly, better mpg can be achieved with the performance tunes, right?

I received a response from Torrie that concurred with the opinions here about the pulleys not affecting tunes. He also said that he can build E-85 tunes, so I may buy an XCal with a 87 performance tune, an E-85 performance tune, and either a 87 torque or 93 performance tune.