??? about 3.8L, '99 Taraus

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
Iam not familiar with this motor and friend is getting coolant in the oil pan. Hoping someone on this board is familiar, with this motor.

It runs good and no smoke or white steam from the exhaust. So I dont suspect coolant into the combustion chamber. Maybe headgasket if it is coolant passage to oil passage. Or is there a specific failure on these motors? Such as intake gasket blowout in a coolant passage or timing chain housing, where the pump circulates to the block?

This is one Ford motor I never worked on. Hoping that it might be a simple fix. It only has 90k miles on it.

Thanks, Eddie

Those motors were known for intake manifold gasket leaks, Bad had gaskets and cracked heads...

Any one of the above will put coolant in the oil and may not show it out the tailpipe....

Todd Z

Todd is correct, this engine is known for head gaskets that leak after a while. I used to have a '91 Lincoln 3.8, a head gasket went at around 112k and the dealer was surprised it lasted that long.

Thanks guys. Looks like it might be best to find a motor. Probably yank the intake first and take look at the gaskets there. That is fairly simple.

The car itself is in very good condition for a '99. I will relay the info and let him decide.

As noted, they are notorious for head gasket issues. In most cases, these engines are used in some fairly performance applications. Thus, they had metal head gaskets. If the antifreeze was not maintained and replaced every year or so, the gaskets would literally rust and break and allow the coolant to enter the oil pan.

Fast Eddie'04 said:
Looks like it might be best to find a motor.

Not necessarily. Mine wasn't smoking either. I got new head gaskets and drove it for another 40k without a problem, sold it with 152,000 miles and it still ran like a top.

Yes, the 3.8 litre ford engines had real problems.

We had a 1995 Ford Windstar Van that had a bad head gasket at 70,000 miles or so.

It was clearly out of factory warranty, the van started to overheat so I was taking it to the dealer (Vernie Jones Ford, Jasper GA) when all of a sudden the heat pegged out, I pulled over and looked next to me, there was a giant "cloud", literally, a white puffy cloud!

I got the van towed to the ford dealer, they orginally said they would pay half of the repairs.

Then when they removed the oil pan and looked up to the engine, they said they would have to replace the engine. I asked if they would put a Long block in the van instead of a short block, after they contacted Ford they said ok to this. 18 days later they got the van back to me, they paid for a rental car and half of the long block! I was pleased with that...but then about 6 month later, Ford Motor Company sent me a check for the other half of the repairs!

1995 windstars had a major problem with these, I worked at a national used car dealer at the time, and I would always steer my customers away from the 1995 models. based on my first hand experience, but Ford did treat me right. Since then I have purchased a New 1998 For Contour SE V-6 5 speed (since traded in), and currently own a 2004 Ford Expedition eddie bauer which my wife drives. Loaded Nav/Roof/DVD purchased from Ronnie Watkins in Gadsden AL.

They are also a really nice dealership.

Maybe Ford will help you as well, probably not though but wouldn't hurt to ask about it

Iam afraid that the motor will have some down the road damage. The oil has turned to milk.

This happened to me on a '61 plymouth V8. The coolant passage, in the timing chain housing eroded. Oil turned to milk. Replaced that and a month latter it turned a rod bearing insert.

the 99 Taurus don't have a 3.8 liter engine, Ford quit putting those engines in the Taurus back in 1996. You will find 3 basic engine types in the 99 Taurus 2 of them are 3.0 liters, one is a OHV rated about 140 HP, engine code U. The other is a 24V Duretec, engine code S. It is rated at 203 HP. Ford did start installing a FFV version of the OHV engine, I forgot what the engine code was for that one. Ford also installed a V-8 3.4 liter that went into the SHO's. That one is rated about 235 HP. The engine code is N. The 3.8 liter is notorious for head gasket issues, that is why Ford quit making that motor.

Hope this helps

Bob.

P.S. If you can post a VIN for that car, I can tell you what engine is in that car.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert,, I will have to get back to you. It is a friends. I will have to call him. I was just going by what he said. I think it is not the 24V duratec. It doesnt have the emblems on the fender.

Latest posts