About to hit 100,000 what maint do you recommend?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILL E

Reaction score
I am going to go pull out the owner manual as well. I picked the car up with about 70000 miles on it and am about to hit 100000.

Its v8 full time so I am thinking front and rear axle service (new fluid) as well as transfer case drain and fill.

Here is what I would do if it hasn't been done or you don't know the history...

Engine-

Oil and filter change

Flush power steering fluid

Change PCV Valve

Spark plugs/wires

Check for coolant leak

Check hoses and vac lines for rot, tears, and leaks

Replace belt, check idler, tensioner, and bearings

Clean TB and IAC

Fuel and air filters

Brakes-

Check front and rear pads and rotors

Flush fluid

Check parking brake

Powertrain-

Change trans filter

Flush trans fluid

Change front and rear diff fluid

Change transfer case fluid

Rotate tires/check for leaks, worn, nails, etc

Also check body mounts, suspension components, and lube as necessary.

Use AMSOIL's online lookup on my website to see fluid specs, capacities, filters, etc. Brett's list is good; I'd add coolant change to it.

Im sorry. Yes coolant change and probably front oxygen sensors as well. Front ones for fuel economy. Wait till back ones (emissions) go bad to replace. Buy parts from www.rockauto.com with 5% discount code to save $.

If you have your brake fluid flushed with every brake job (front or rear) or every 2 years, you don't need to do it at 100K miles. If you have not had your brake fluid flushed in 100K miles...you are way past due...they are not necessarily mileage related maintenance.

Tires and things are probably other things that should be checked frequently as part of your regular operating maintenance or at least at each oil change interval.

My point is, 100K miles is not a magical number that requires every possible service, if you have been maintaining the vehicle regular. Many of these items like check hoses, tires, wiperblades, lights, body and trim are all things that you should be doing on a regular basis and that can be done at home in your driveway....Don't save them up for 100K miles and then the shop has to keep your vehicle for 3 days to complete everything...and then you get a whopping bill.

...Rich

Isn't the break fluid system a closed system?

why is it recommended to have that fluid flushed every 2000 miles. I have more than 100,000 miles on my truck and never had the break fluid flushed.

What is the benefit of having that done?

Brake fluid is hygroscopic (attracts water). Over time, this causes the fluid to deteriorate, reduce its boiling point and form sludge that can get into the brake lines, calipers, ABS components. Taken to the extreme it can cause brake failure. Flushing your brake fluid every two years is good practice to keep your brake system's longevity and reliability. Gotta have them brakes, right?

bugsiegel,

The brake system is not closed at the master cylinder. The cap has to have some kind of vent (usually a pin hole) or the reservoir would not be able to feed fluid to the brakes. But you do not need to flush the brake fluid every 2K miles???

The fluid should be flushed about every 2 or 3 years, or with every brake job, whichever comes first. depends on how long your brakes normally last.

Vic is correct that brake fluid attracts moisture from the atmosphere, and since brake fluid is lighter than water, the moisture will collect in the lowest part of the braking system which is the calipers and wheel cylinders (drum brakes). Not only will the moisture turn to steam when the brakes get hot, but will also adversely effect the braking. That moisture also corrodes the caliper piston bores which can cause leaks and/or sticking caliper pistons.

...Rich

Latest posts