abs light on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Deroche

Reaction score
my abs light is on... i was just wondering if any of you knew why it could be on ? my brakes work fine so far so i dont see a problem with them

I'd like to fix this myself if possible as my ABS Light is on as well. (2001 ST) Is the sensor located on top of the rear axle? Anyone have a picture?

The Check Engine light has also been on for a while - P0456 Code - but I'm at a loss of what to look for. I've already tried the gas cap trick. Any help would be much appreciated - I need it for a trip TOMORROW! (I copied my reply from the other ABS thread)

Do a Search for "ABS" and you'll find a post dated 5/16/2008

I had the issue on the wifes 2000 Explorer. Ended up being the rear ABS sensor.

Cheap, easy fix.

Tom

Stupid question...

How do you know which one it is? and which side?

A search at Advance Auto Parts returns the following...

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=1061&ptset=A&searchfor=ABS+Speed+Sensor

Thanks in advance...

There is only 1 rear ABS sensor.

Thet pretty much solves that issue. It is the only item on the rear differential that has an electrical plug on it.

Tom

Griff,

I have never experienced the ABS light coming on when the fluid is low, BUT I have seen the Brake light come on when the fluid is low. The same light that comes on when the parking brake is set.

The ABS light coming on when the fluid is low is a new one on me.

Tom

I had the ABS Sensor go out a few times on My 93 F-150. Pretty easy to change there, haven't had to do it on the ST yet. The part isn't that expensive, I thought it was around 15-30 dollars and took about 5 min to install.

Thanks for all the info - I'm picking up the part at NAPA on the way home from work today - $13.99. I really hope this fixes the problem - I'll post when complete.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=UP&PartNumber=530780&Description=ABS+Differential+Sensor

PM,

When you do it, I suggest you back your Trac on some ramps and drop the spare tire. I tried to remove the sensor with out removing the tire. I just did not get enough room. With the spare tire removed, I could sit on my butt and see everything. Once you remove the bolt and plug, I had to twist the sensor enough to get it to loosen enough to pry it out. Once I got it loose, it came right out. Going back in is a breeze.

While sitting under it, I had the wife turn the ignition on and the light went out right away.

There was no learning sequence or start-up sequence to clear the code.

If that was your problem after replacing it, you will know it right away. The light will go out.

Tom

It happened to my 04 once, turned out to be a fuse. Check your owners manual it will show you which fuse is for the ABS light.

New ABS Sensor from the local NAPA.......$16.32

Installation in my garage..........................15 minutes

NO MORE ABS LIGHT...............................excellent

www.mysporttrac.com.............................PRICELESS!

Thanks to all for the assistance.

Now if I can just get that CHECK ENGINE light and the P0456 code figured out!!!!

Bderoche, did your issue get worked out?

PM,

here are some things to check out:

P0456 - EVAP Control System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak)

The PCM monitors the complete EVAP control system for the presence of a very small fuel vapor leak. The system failure occurs when a fuel vapor leak from an opening as small as 0.508 mm (0.020 inch) is detected by the EVAP running loss monitor test. Very small holes or cuts in fuel vapor hoses/tubes.

**Loose fuel vapor hose/tube connections to EVAP system components.

EVAP system component seals leaking (refer to Possible Causes under DTC P0442).

P0442 - EVAP Control System Leak Detected (Small Leak)

The PCM monitors the complete EVAP control system for presence of a small fuel vapor leak.

The system failure occurs when a fuel vapor leak from an opening as small as 1.016 mm (0.04 inch) is detected by the EVAP running loss monitor test.

After-market EVAP hardware (such as fuel filler cap) non-conforming to required specifications

Small holes or cuts in fuel vapor hoses/tubes

Canister vent solenoid stays partially open on closed command

Damaged, cross-threaded or loosely installed fuel filler cap

Loose fuel vapor hose/tube connections to EVAP system components

EVAP system component seals leaking (EVAP canister purge valve, fuel tank pressure sensor, canister vent solenoid, fuel vapor control valve tube assembly or fuel vapor vent valve assembly)

Once you've checked all this, unplug the battery positive cable for 10 mins to reset and it should clear the check engine light. *unless there is something else*

and before anything if you know you recently changed something or had to work around any of these things items...check those areas first. Even if you already have, unconnected and reconnect. as it states ( it is a small leak) reconnecting might just seal it off better.

most of the time, as you probably already know, it's probably something really simple.