AC compressor clutch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Knippen

Reaction score
Sport Trac Friends, please Help my Father-in-law is suffering w/o AC on his 2001 V6

Whats the best way to manually jump start the AC Compressor ?

The System is too low on freon to charge it up the regular way

2001 V6 ST (Gave my 01 ST to my Father-in-law when I bought my 2010)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete,

You are going to ruin the AC compressor ! You are not doing your Father-in-law any favors.

When an AC system is low on Freon, it means it leaked out along with much of the lubricating oil. That's why they have a Low Pressure switch...to protect the compressor.

The only way to fix the AC is to find the leak and fix it before trying to add Freon and compressor oil. If you don't know how to do this, or you do not have the tools, take it to a professional AC repairman.....Then you will really be doing your Father-in-law a favor. :grin:

...Rich

RICH, YARDSALE, GAVIN I hear you and I appreciate the quick responses AND thats my main concern. Please Let me have your opinion on this point. I realize it must have some kind of leak because freon just doesn't vanish. I learned about the trick some time ago from an old school mechanic saying.. "as long as the compressor doesn't run very long and you apply the Freon right after you jump it it won't get hot enough fast enough to do any damage before the freon reaches the compressor" But "people" are trying to sell him a new compressor because it wont turn. I did get a new modual but it didnt help of course

Pete,

Old school mechanics will always tell you something shade tree because they don't have the tools or knowledge to fix it right.

Why do you want to put freon in it if there is an obvious leak? People who do that just want to get it cooling and never fix the leak and end up destroying the compressor

If you don't know what you are doing, don't do anything. If it's a money thing, often time the cheapest way is often more expensive in the end !

...Rich

(Not so) random thoughts ...

What we don't know:

- Over what time period did the A/C digress from working well to not at all (see below*)?

- How long has it been that it hasn't worked (sitting static)?

- Has there been any prior work on the A/C?

- Who are these "people" that want to sell you a compressor?

A reputable shop won't sell you parts or services not needed; hunt for one.

2001 compressor has died? If he plans on keeping it for a few years, it may be worth fixing it (correctly). Maybe he's gotten his moneys worth from the original.

If it's true that the compressor won't turn, then maybe it's kaput; maybe it has seized and cannot be freed. If it's been sitting static for very long, it's toast. Atmospheric humidity has probably rusted the innards or caused the remaining oil to degrade, and the only way to get rid of that is by evacuating the system for which you'll need a vacuum pump and a set of manifold gauges.

A friend who used to be a mechanic and then a service manager told me to amortize non-maintenance repair costs over the time of ownership. His thought is that if you can drive a vehicle for 200 to $500 a year, that's not bad.

*There are cases when I'd recommend a simple "top-off", but those are few. One would be if the symptom is cooled air out of the duct was around 60 to 70'F and had been this way for a six-month period or longer. The system would probably be low on Freon and still have sufficient oil. I'd try a top-off, but only once of it didn't work for at least a year. And I'd not use any leak stop because that may accelerate the wear of seals at moving parts, and that's counterproductive. I might use a UV leak detector, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yardsale, good Random thoughts, I had the ST for 10 years always blew cold, then I gave it to my Father in law it worked for a year then quit blowing cold then it sat for a year and a half. But your right and you convinced me to have him take it to Ford and bite the bullet, fix the leak and recharge the system & do it right. Thanks

I have never ruined a compressor by jumping out, using freon with oil and dye. Found the leak evacuated and repaired. Evacuate, watch the vaccum gauge and recharge. I also have an electronic leak detector, vaccum pump and R12/22 gauges and R134a gauges

Seems everyone is afraid of AC repair nowdays. One thing I wont do is buy modern rebuilt compressors. 70% dont work or fail soon. Leak stops are useless.

Worked in a auto HVAC garage when I was 16. Self educated since. Not certified but competent.

Most modern compressor failures is the clutch, or internal lack of lube. Usually held up in the drier. 4oz of oil will make a hell of a mess leaking on the high or low side. My experiance of most leaks nowdays, is the o-rings or the rubber hose permeates. Open a system always replace the drier add oil, inspect or replace the orfice.

It is not scary.....LOL

Pete,

Eddie is 100% correct. Some leaks can easily be spotted by the compressor oil that leaked out with the freon. Often times if you have a compressor seal leak, you will see a wet/oily stain on the underside of the hood just above the AC compressor (if the compressor is mounted high)

You also need the proper manifold gauges and a vacuum pump to evacuate the system to remove any air and moisture that leaked in after the freon leaked out. If you don't get that moisture out of the system it will turn to ice and clog the Orifice Tube, or H-Valve (depending upon which is used)

Years ago, I had to replace the Evaporator core (the part in the HVAC box under the dash) on my wife's Dodge MiniVan. It involved nearly a day's work taking most of the dash apart to get it out and install the new Evaporator core. Then I took it to a shop to have the system evacuated and recharged with freon...I don't have the tools and equipment for that.

...Rich

Latest posts