AC & Heat vents

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Stiteler

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Just tried the AC and find almost no airflow through vents, Cnanging direction, defrost, feet or vent. doesn't work.

Anyone have a suggestion or diagrams on how venting works?

Well, your profile is not filled out so we have no clue what year your truck is to properly help. yes they are different.

2003XLT. Not sure what happened to my profile. Been a member since 2003. And it used to be there.

Yep, something wierd is happening with the profiles.

Have to start at the basics, Check the small plastic lines on the passenger side going to the fender vacuum ball, those provide vacuum to the dash, then have to check the doors and vacuum pots under the dash.

Have to start at the basics, Check the small plastic lines on the passenger side going to the fender vacuum ball, those provide vacuum to the dash, then have to check the doors and vacuum pots under the dash.
Thanks Todd, any images or diagrams?

Sadly I dont, Got rid of all of them.

Mechanic just called and found severe mouse damage behind glove box. Guesstimate is $1500 to fix. Just put all four rotors and brakes on 20 miles ago at $1500. Now what?

... Now what?
Looks like three options to me...
- Pay the guy to do it, cost will probably go up once it's apart and he sees the extent of the damage.
- Rip it apart yourself and save a ton of cash in exchange for your time.
- Forget about it and use what my old man called '2/55 AC'. Mice like to chew wires though so that could lead to other issues depending on the damage.

77 and on a fixed income. It was a stretch to cover the brakes. That was necessary to pass inspection. So option one is out.

Age and arthritis and no garage pretty much take out option two.

So I guess I will drive it with just defrost until it dies.

Mechanic just called and found severe mouse damage behind glove box. Guesstimate is $1500 to fix. Just put all four rotors and brakes on 20 miles ago at $1500. Now what?
Same mechanic that did your brakes? Sure seems like he really likes that number. Get a second opinion if you can.
If you can track down the vacuum leak yourself, with the help of the thread swshawaii posted, it could cost you as little as a few bucks for some hose.

Brakes included state inspection, replaced a tire, and all 4 rotors and brakes.

Has to pull heater motor t replace vacuum hoses, and fix chewed wires. SWAG expect parts plus approx 12 hours labor.

I don’t think it is excessive, just not feasible on 19 year old vehicle and fixed income.

I will drive her until de no longer passes inspection.

In a town of only 4,400 it is hard to find someone who doesn't know everyone. And I am not going to try the dealer.

That sucks, sorry to hear that. Are there any young guys in the town that are shade tree mechanics that would maybe help you out during their free time? Maybe throw them some money or trade/barter for something? I know when me and my best freinds were late teens/20s we helped out plenty of people. Just pay for parts.

Here is a crazy idea. Put a GoFundMe out there explaining your situation. Put it on here and some other Ford sites. Wouldnt take too many people giving $5, $10, $20 to help out an old Ford guy trying to keep his "old" Ford going. I would definitely pitch in, bet others would too.

Nice idea. Better half actually hates GoFundMe unless people are truly destitute or for life saving situations.

I think the default condition is defrost and foot. I guess I can live with that.

Technician sent me this.

Attachments

• 20220603_105452_resized_1.jpg
    20220603_105452_resized_1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 25
Vacuum tubes.

Is that the only damage? Is that pic taken through the glove box opening? If so, find the other ends and patch them yourself. Cost a few bucks.
Find some tubing the size and type of the original. Find some other, slightly softer, tubing that fits snuggly around the smaller stuff. Push it all together tightly and seal with silicon. Not perfect but should work at least.