AC & Heat vents

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tech said he couldn't find the other ends, so they would have to pull the (heater/motor) box. Fifteen years ago I could have done what you recommend. Today with a back that won't let me stand or walk, isn't going to let me get into there to work. Constant pain in back and legs. And 77 years under my belt.

Damn, I wish could help you out but there is a whole country between us. Best I can do for you would be to take my glove box out and trace down those lines and see if it can be done without ripping the dash apart. Mine is an '01j2 though so don't know if it is the same up in there.

Any flexible grandkids or nieces/nephews who want to earn a few bucks and learn auto mechanics?

Grand kids all under 10. Nieces and nephews all too far away and not inclined. Stepson works so hard he doesn't have time for anything especially 12 hours work on my truck. But thanks for the suggestion.

See if Facebook market or other places have back yard guy that may just be able to patch 1 line and make something work.... ALSO with the lines leaking the motor will run lean and can cause more damage then good.

Can you guide me to where the vacuum line is that goes through the firewall? If I can plug there, there should be no vacuum leak to cause the truck to run lean.

Damn, I wish could help you out but there is a whole country between us. Best I can do for you would be to take my glove box out and trace down those lines and see if it can be done without ripping the dash apart. Mine is an '01j2 though so don't know if it is the same up in there.
Do you know where the vacuum line comes through the firewall? I understand that if I can plug the vacuums line prior to where the leak is it will keep from causing the engine to run lean. Now, if I let it idle after warming up it drops to about 500 rpm and stalls.

Passenger side next to AC box... should see it there...

I don't see a vacuum line.

Attachments

• IMG_2248.JPG
    IMG_2248.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 0
See those 2 grey plastic lines next to the washer fill cap ?? Follow them.... I believe there is also a rubber one but those are the main 2 for the HVAC crap.

I should have learned in 77 years that I shouldn't touch anything. Found the vacuum lines and in trying to trace where they were going, the end under the air box came loose.

Attachments

• IMG_2249.JPG
    IMG_2249.JPG
    928.1 KB · Views: 0
And then I found this! Inside the air box. I am beginning to think I should just eat the costs of the brakes and tires and call Karz for Kids and donate.

Attachments

• IMG_2250.JPG
    IMG_2250.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
But I don't want to. That's MY truck!

Simple things, no need to lose the truck. The air box comes out relatively easy. You might even be able to cap the line there, not sure. Then hit the hardware store and get a square of metal screen and hot glue it to the opening so critters don't get back inside.

Thanks for the good thoughts. Back issues essentially require that I pay someone to fix the problems. And retired or a fixed income preclude that at a 12 hour job at $120 an hour and no guarantee that the rodents have't destroyed something else too.

It sucks to be both old and decrepit!

Just use gloves to clean the air box. The line goes back on the front of the motor by the belt. If you look in the wheel well towards the tensioner you will see the black heater control valve. That plugs onto that. There are no automotive kids in the hood that could help ??

Latest posts