Accident Question - Rear Bumper and Frame Bent

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I had a chance to take a good look at the rear bumper and bumper cover. Theirs a problem. The bumper is shifted to the left about a half inch and in on the driver side. Then whehn I crawled under, the frame had 2 waves, both equal size. I thought they used a frame puller on it and lazer measure. My question is can the bumper be straigthened without taking cover off?

I already had the bump shop look at i and he claimed they can udjust the bumper only a small bit but thats it. Can all this be fixed?

Big Al

Last edited by a moderator:
It is hard to fix once it is bent. Since it does have a cover it is a bit easier. But I am guessing the cover is screwed up to isn't it?

I say it is easier as you do not have to care about the looks of the metal under the cover. Get it close and the cover will "cover" it.

I have now rebuilt 2 sport tracs that were totaled and both needed rear bumper work, it is relativly easy to remove the bumper and or cover, and you may find that a inexpensive bracket is just bent, the bumper itself(not cover) is plastic/molded so if it is tweeked, new bumper time. By the way, look at another st, I remember factory bends near the rear of frame to accomodate spare tire, and I thought it was bent, but after looking at another one, it is designed that way, hope this helps!

Some one else here had gotten rear ended and musty have posted 5 threads about the same exact thing. He got the truck fixed, frame straightened, and was 100% happy with the repair...

Just do it right, You will not be happy otherwise. You could start having suspension issues, body issues, alignment issues, things like that.

Todd Z