Add-a-leaf or shackle lift?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KootenayST

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hi all, looking to do a mild lift on a 02. What are your opinions on lifting the rear. Add-a-leaf springs or longer shackles? Anyone tried truxxx springs? How harsh does the ride feel after installing. Who’s tried the longer shackle option? Thanks in advance

As far as mild? is there a size of tire you are looking to clear or just looking to get a little more clearance? you have a few options with a 02, 04 changed a little but if your trying to step up to 33s you need a 4 inch and mild trimming, 32s a 3 inch body will do, etc. as far as stiffness suspension lifts with right shocks is smoother then stock but more aggressive tires you tend to fill it but not in the stiff department but mild feedback. if you do add a leaf you can feel stiffness and quite a bit but if you got weak springs with sag from age it can get crazy and dangerous to put pressure on them.

Thanks Curtis, I’d only be guessing how much the rear leaf springs have sagged without a stock reference or measurement. I’m thinking around an 31” tire. Any chatter about using a longer shackle in these posts? Only looking for 2” front and rear. Even considering machining down a 3” body lift to 2”

body lifts are a good way, most kits have bumper relocation and a plus is most bushings need replacing any ways, pretty cheap to do and definitely a bonding experience. easiest way to keep suspension stock and have a lift. i have done shackles on my jeep and was way easy and worked great. the body lifts look good to me and not all frame looking like most trucks. there is a youtube where a guy did shackles i will try and post for you.

body lifts are a good way, most kits have bumper relocation and a plus is most bushings need replacing any ways, pretty cheap to do and definitely a bonding experience. easiest way to keep suspension stock and have a lift. i have done shackles on my jeep and was way easy and worked great. the body lifts look good to me and not all frame looking like most trucks. there is a youtube where a guy did shackles i will try and post for you.
I have seen the video. I’m more interested in people’s opinions after installing them. I agree on the body lift. The main reason is to allow for a taller tire anyways and doesn’t change the ride significantly.

What mods have you done to yours?

Im putting the torch 3" kit with add a leafs on mine, i also ordered new rear spring packs so im waiting on those to come to install lift. Will be nice having all 4 trucks running the same size tires.

Yea i made a mistake on a jeep doing just add a leafs to a older cj 7 and the leaf broke and it was on a trail and it was a hard drop, then did military springs and omg was that a stiff ride, the one issue i had with trac was the shift points and did a programmer and that solved the issues, and with bigger tires or having a trailer its a must have, intake and exhaust helped. if i was doing a 03 gen 1 i would do suspension lift but a 04 i would go body lift, it was way pricey doing full, but now there are no kits.

By suspension lift, do you mean tortion bars and springs? Or do you know of a true suspension lift kit?

Im putting the torch 3" kit with add a leafs on mine, i also ordered new rear spring packs so im waiting on those to come to install lift. Will be nice having all 4 trucks running the same size tires.
Where did you buy your replacement spring packs from?

Yes, i have a superlift 4 inch so springs in rear and lower torsion brackets and crossmember and knuckles etc, the rear is easy as you can get shops to build arched springs but front well as you mentioned its whole new set up, super lift made off the shelf kits but discontinued because is was not selling. i can still get parts from them just not kits. 04 was a little different set up. i also have a airlift in rear so i can get another inch and stop sagging with trailer.

Damn! Wish they still offered a kit.

When i talked with rep a couple years ago he said they have all the parts but for warranty and i tried to get him to put a kit together with no luck, i have had zero issues in 18 years and a few kids driving it. They're worse than the trails.

I'd like to run both my trucks with the same size tire also. My other truck is a 77 Power Wagon, that's the one a 15" rim will be swapped for a 16" rim. My sport Track might see a 2" lift once I decide on the tire size I want.

Latest posts