adding/replacing coolant

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Doogle

Reaction score
I drained the radiator, replaced both hoses and the thermostat on my '01. The coolant that drained out was green. At the parts store, without paying much attention, I picked up two gallons of Prestone Dex-Cool Quick Fill (which is 50/50 prediluted). Later I noticed the caps on the jugs were orange and started reading. The Trac manual says to use what meets Ford spec ESE-M87B44-A and NOT to add orange-colored extended life coolang meeting Ford spec WSS-M97B44-D. Well guess what, the sticker on the jug says 'meets Ford WSS-M97B44-D'. Why does it matter? After reading previous posts I'm guessing that I should return this stuff and get something that meets Ford spec ESE-M87B44-A. Sound like the right thing to do? Any suggestions on brands?

(You guys obviously do this alot more than I do anymore!)

Thanks.

From my Chevy, I believe that the dex-cool may have some compat issues with certain metals used in the cooling system / engine. I think Aluminum was an issue IIRC.

I know for sure that if there is a drop of green standard coolant in the system, and you add the dex-cool, it contaminates and negates any benefit of the dex-cool.

I also know that if your system did not have dex-cool as the factory fill when new, it made no real difference, since the dex-cool needed to coat the metal components when new to make it effective.

I just used it in my Corsica because although it made no difference, orange coolant was cooler looking than green at the time. It had no negative effect on my system, and was a "recommended upgrade" (more money for GM, total BS).

Edit: yes, bring it back for a swap. Stick to the green, and flush it every 2-3 years or so with a hose / T-Stat change. That might be a bit too frequent for some, but why take chances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Noble. The mention of the Corsica brought back terrible memories. My wife got one as a college graduation present the first production year (which I forget since it's been so long ago). Nothing but trouble with that car. Drove like a tank and very uncomfortable on long trips. Funny things were 1) had the air vents fall to pieces for no apparent reason and 2) car was rear-ended by a Volvo dealership mechanic test driving a customer's car after he serviced it. LOL. It never rode right again. Then I traded it for my first, of 4, minivans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved that damn POS car, even with the chicken bone curse some voodoo woman put on it. It was my first car.

Jumping it 35 feet on a highway and blowing out both passenger side tires on landing was the last straw, even for me. But all it needed was new tires.

A new alternator and battery every year.

Endless brake and steering, and shock, strut, and accident magnetism issues.

Yes, the vents sucked.

But I loved it.

I lucked out with a '94, mine rode like a Corvette, but was as tough as a tank.

BUT AT LEAST THE STEERING WHEEL DIDN'T PEEL, LOL.