Adrenalin 4x4 conversion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike S 3

Reaction score
I'm sure most of you are also on explorerforum, but I wanted to post here JIC some might miss it.... https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-convert-your-awd-adrenalin-to-true-4x4.478699/

After lots of research I figured out how to convert an AWD Sport Trac Adrenalin to true 4x4.

You'll need a windows laptop, Forscan with license, an OBDII adapter that connects to your laptop, and the 4x4 button module (7L2Z-14B166-AA)

Update the Instrument Panel configuration
Using Forscan, access the Instrument Cluster (IC) module and updated the 720-01-01 block. Here's what I changed:

From #### 6AF3
To #### 6AF1

Update the 4x4 module wiring
After studying the factory wiring documentation, I noticed that Adrenalin's don't have a fuse or wiring in the F23 slot under the hood. I traced this back and discovered that two wires need to be spliced together on the black connector that plugs into the 4x4 module.

Jumper together the Yellow/Red stripe wire and the White/Red stripe wire in the black plug to the 4x4 module. This gives 12v constant power to the White/Red stripe wire which is not connected from the factory.

Install the 4x4 buttons
Swap out the blank buttons for the 4x4 buttons (7L2Z-14B166-AA). All the wiring is there behind the center console trim.

That's all there is to it! After this change you can now use the low range that has been in your transfer case hiding all this time! After this change there is no difference in how the Auto 4x4 operates and everything works the same as before with regards to the auto 4x4 or 'AWD'. Also having the 4x4 buttons as a quick way to engage 4x4 high is much more convenient than having to navigate through the settings menu in the cluster to change it from 'AWD' to Locked. Now just press the 4x4 Auto or 4x4 High buttons.

Last edited:
That's EFFING SWEET !!!!!!! Do you use Face book? post on the forums there.... IF not I will share if you like !!!!

ALSO if you do the reverse please share !!!

I'm not active on FB, so please feel free to share this info over there, thanks! I think OEM style mods like this are great... Its the little things that keep me interested in a vehicle, love this truck!

No, I was going to do it, But im scared of forscan and doing it.... LOL I wish I could but just not now.... People were interested on the FB forums but no one as of yet has done it..

Latest posts