Advice on purchase of used 2003 XLS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Hurwitz

Reaction score
Hi,

Glad I found this forum. I have an opportunity to purchase the following:

2003 Sport Trac XLS with 38,000 miles, towing, 4x4, Auto trans, tilt, cruise, power seat, running boards, tonneau cover. Not sure on the other options, as my dealer buddy is still finding out about it, but it's not an XLT. From what I read the tow hooks and fog lights came with the 4x4?

KBB says it retails for $16,370 and private party (excl cond) is $13,365. This assumes I do not click the "sliding rear window" or "bed liner" options, since they are standard. IF I do it of course goes a little higher ($200) in those values.

They want $13,900 for it.

The mileage is certainly a huge part of this sale with an average of only 7600 per year. My dealer will put it through a thorough inspection andif it even looks like it ever sat for a long while, or ever had an accident he won't sell it. I've bought cars from him for 15 years without a single problem ever.

Anyhow, my concerns are as follows:

1) Poor MPG's - but it sounds like a few cheap mods can help? Cold air intake, better freeflow muffler? Other at-home fixes like ignition perhaps, etc?

2) 4x4 doesn't help the MPG's. If YOU had a choice would you opt for the 4x4 if 99.9% of your driving was city, and in Tucson there isn't ever any snow. Would 4x4 help with towing or at least getting a couple of jet skis out of a boat ramp?

3) I've read it rides bad - but again it sounds like a few cheap projects can fix this like the simple 3" lift shakles, tweak the tortion bars, new front and rear sway bars, and new better shocks stiften it all up nicely?

4) Wind and ride noise - yet again found the projects to add noise deadening, so cheap fix there as well? Is this such a huge problem in city driving to even care or mainly highway?

Lastly, and just because I like LOADED vehicles, I "wish" it had the XLT or XLT Premium package but it doesn't. But again it sounds like it's not that expensive to get some of the niceties like the upgraded center console, overhead console, etc, for cheap. You guys on this site are certainly great at posting detailed projects!

So what do you think? Wish it was a 2006 with the upgraded "Explorer" independant suspention, etc, but for under $14k this sounds like a solid truck to do everything I could want to.

Thoughts?

Thanks!! :D

thats really good mileage, about how much i have on my 04 but it sounds like it should be a solid truck $13,900 is not really bad either IMO, i would try to get it closer to 13,000 but with the low miles, its not bad. i have never had a problem with wind noise until i put a rack on the top. i havent had a problem with the ride either, when i first got mine i got comments all the time on how smooth it drove actually. MPG's arent that bad for a vehicle this size. i love mine, and when you buy that trac you will also be buying great support with all the people on this website to answer most any question you have. if you want it i say go for it, i dont think you will be disappointed

Throw your mpg concerns out the window. "Good mpg" tracs seem to be a total crapshoot and I wouldn't hold my breath that any mod will fix that. Moreover the cost offset of the mods will rarely makeup the difference in lost mileage.

If mpg is a major concern and you don't need a truck/suv find another vehicle, this isn't the ride for you.

I love my trac even with the not so good mileage but I'm a big guy and cruising in my gf's focus is not for me.

Shocks alone will make a big difference in ride and seeing as that's an '03 it would be time for new ones anyhow.

Price sounds good.

First, Auto trans, tilt & cruise are standard not options.

Second, I would not get the 4x4 unless you feel you really need it, or want to do some off-roading. The 4x2 will do just fine for towing what you want to tow.

That price with the low mileage is a pretty good deal, but see if you can get them down a couple thousand and if the only come down another 1k that's O.K. Get an extended drive train warrenty too.

Which ever one you get you will want to upgrade the shocks and front end links (from AutoZone). In addition to the CAI & single-in / duel-out exhaust, you will want to get a SCT XCalibrator II or III tuner with a 87 economy tune.

I agree with Spaceman that if your really concerned about mileage then don't buy a Trac. Although the 4x4 is probably useless to you, it's a good price with or without it. So go for it.

Like I said, I'm glad I found this forum!

Prime criteria I need are (1) holds 4 people, (2) truck, (3) mileage and MPGs aren't crazy horrible, (4) affordable 2nd car.

The wife drives the gas guzzler SUV of the century, her 05 Escalade with the big V8 that passes everything but a gas station. You do NOT want to see even a single receipt from those fill-ups.

So, really, anything better than that sub 14mpg Caddy average AND a truck, is acceptable and then she can take it to work a few days a week to save some gas $$. Oh, BTW, I work from home and hardly drive at all during the week.

If I had a choice I'd opt for the XLT premium with a 2wd, but from what I can see it's just not doable for under $14k, with low miles. At least not here and now anywhere in Arizona. And since I sold my last car about a month ago, I'm feeling the pains of not having "any" vehicle to get me around town until the wifey gets home from her job...so I'm in need of something asap.

Ok, thanks guys. More opinions welcome. It sounds like if this is a solid truck then this is a decent price point. I checked Craigslist and it's a good overall pricing, not a smoking deal of the century, but a decent price for a used truck, with all the criteria I need and maybe a little I don't. Plus cheap enough to play with some aftermarket goodies if I want to.

Thanks again,

Steve

And I'll keep ya posted if I do end up buying one, as I'm sure I'll be asking lots...;)

Cool,

WELCOME to the site Steve !!

Todd Z

I bought an 02 2WD last year with 48,000 miles for $12,500, which was originally listed for $13,900, so your price with all the options sounds pretty good. I've noticed these trucks seem to hold their value. I was trying to find one with low miles under $11,000 and couldn't. I would've preferred 4WD, but I think the towing capability actually decreases with 4WD. It sure comes in handy if you have to pull a boat from a slippery ramp. (I've got a 99 4WD Jeep Cherokee if it comes to that.) Make sure you get two programmed keys or that will bite you in the wallet. Regarding passengers, this truck has the most rear leg room that I know of for any truck in this class. I looked at the Nissan Frontier and the ST is roomier in the back seat. Overall, I'm happy with this purchase.

As far as I know, XLS models did not have fog lights, tilt, or cruise, at least when I got my '05 XLT you couldn't (or I'd have gotten an XLS). Not sure about the '03 but it sounds like you have an XLT to me.

Steve, first Welcome to the site, The only thing that really matters is if you like the ST, after that nothing does.People can tell you lots of things. Gas milage can be taken care of just a little.Like Spaceman said,(If mpg is a major concern and you don't need a truck/suv find another vehicle, this isn't the ride for you.) But having something that you can take pride in That very few of the finest people have. You have joined a good familyhood._Ron

Wow, I almost want to buy it just for the camaraderie in this forum! Ok, I'm convinced that this IS the right truck for me. The bad news: Called my dealer and he was out with a broken toe yesterday. He called his fleet-connection today, and the one I was interested in was sold 30 minutes after he told me about it Wednesday. Darn. Wasn't meant to be I guess.

Ok, so there were a few things I didn't like about it, like XLS and 4x4. Which now gives me the opportunity to look for exactly the one I'll be thrilled with. XLT, hopefully premium, 2wd, maybe the Adrenalin edition, with the tonneau cover, bed extender, overhead console and higher floor console, all the bells and whistles, etc, etc. I am vastly impressed with some of the mods I've seen on the trucks in this forum. Makes me itch to do some myself, if not just a simple lift and bigger wheels and tires to really make it something special. Yes, I know that'll hurt the MPG's...(This will be the 5th truck I've ever owned, and the 4th Ford vehicle in general, and I'm still impressed with Ford quality!)

Ok, onto the search! There are plenty of ST's in the Phoenix/Tucson area for sale...wish me luck and I'll be back with more to ask! :D

Hello again!

Ok, my dealer has another one for me to look at.

2005 XLS Red with 37,000 miles

No options other than what comes with an XLS.

2wd

So, no tonneau, no bed extender, no running boards, no towing, no tow hooks, no fog lights...no nothing...

That said, my dealer is a nice guy, and will throw on $400 - $500 worth of whatever I want.

I was thinking dark tint, chrome tubes, tow hooks, class III hitch should make things good with me. I'll do my own fog lights, and many of the other projects on this site.

Price as it stands is $16,675 and it's immaculately clean.

Whatdya think? Seems a little high to me?

Seems a little high. Get him to throw in a 3 year extended warranty then it may be a decent deal.

I'm doing some cars.com and autotrader.com comparisons for my area. The price is actually around average.

EDIT: Using Edmunds (assuming the 2005 model year) comparisons I created my own XLT vs XLS vs... spreadsheet and posted it in my library. There are obvious ways to add your own XLT type equipment, but some is probably not worthly of the money (like the XLT steering wheel replacement, since you'd be paying for an airbag with it...)

Can't wait to make it "into" an XLT premium as much as possible at my own pace! (If...I buy this one...);)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts