After Market Tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2001 sport trac with the original 255-70-16 Goodyear Wrangler tires. I am looking at the new Goodyear Fortera replacement tires. Does anyone have this tire on there sport trac? Is this a good tire?

I got Goodyear Fortera Silent Armors just recently to replace the RT/S's. The RT/S's still had plenty of wear on them but was getting odd wear. But what really prompted me to get the Forteras was their very good rating on wet traction. The pucker factor on wet roads with the RT/S's was too much to bare.

Right after I first got them on I was amazed at how soft and quiet they were (I raved about it here too). But when I checked the psi on em they were at around 25 psi. When I put them to 32/35 they felt and sound no different from the RT/S's (which is not necessarily bad). This is my real world assesment. I've yet to drive them on wet roads but I'm sure they'll be an improvement.

Uhm, they are pricey and I was able to get them at a local Goodyear shop for $150 each. I was told their cost was $123 and they sold them at $179. They mounted and aligned my Trac for around $700 out the door. Mind you, I have been working with this shop to fix an alignment issue I was having with them so they negotiated with me (I also mentioned Tire Rack's price).

I've only filled up maybe twice since I get these new tires and I haven't been doing my routine driving so I can't say how they have affected my mileage. A couple of good things I can say for now is, my rears no longer spin on aggressive driveway egress, and also these tires look great (black wall). I will email Goodyear to see what psi they recommend with the Trac and these tires. I sure liked how they felt at 25 psi but I'm afraid that's too low.

edit: Oh yeah, I have an 04, 2WD, ~30K miles, on-road only, light weather environment.

edit 2: I just checked Goodyear's website and they recommend maintaining the psi that is recommended for the Trac, which is 32/35 psi front and back respectively.

EDIT: Just a little update I felt I should make. I've been running these Forteras with 32/35 psi and they have softened after several hundred miles. I guess this can be attributed to break-in period. Anyhow, I thought this was worthy mention since I claimed these Forteras felt no different to the stock Wrangler RT/S's. I'm liking these new tires just fine actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting that your '04 has a recommended psi of 32/35, and the '01/'02's have a recommended psi of 30/35. What is the recommended psi for the '03 & '05 ST? I did look at the recommended psi for the '07, when I was at a dealer the other day, and it is 32/32 - hummmmm.

My 2002 Trac recomends 32F & 35R.

I am partial to the BFG Radial Long Trail T/A for my 4x2 LSD Trac. Nice traction, quiet, and nice ride. I am so glad I got rid of the RT/S tires.

My only regret is that I did not do it sooner.

Tom

My '03 Adrenaline specifies 30 front/35 rear.

My new BFG Radial Long Trail T/As are WONDERFUL! :wub::):wub:

Ford should be ashamed for putting such crap on as OEM. :angry::eek::angry:

GoodYear should be ashamed for making such crap as the RT/S tires. :angry::eek::angry:

Latest posts