Aftermarket Pioneer + Sub woofer Pop help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Rugani

Reaction score
I recently installed my aftermarket Pioneer head unit in my ST with the correct wiring harness, but now every time that the head unit turns on, the sub makes a loud pop...that is the only time that it happens and sounds great while playing...something is wrong, but i can not figure out what it is...anyone have an idea on how to fix this? I unplugged the sub because i am afraid that this loud pop will blow the speaker.

There was an issue with this and hope some one will chime in with the repair. I believe it has to do with the remote turn on and power.

Todd Z

If I remember it has to do with a voltage spike or variance. Try a search if no one chimes in. I think others had to put a load resistor on the sub.

Mine has been doing that ever since I put my Pioneer NAV unit in and it hasn't damaged it yet. That was well over two years ago. :grin:

There has been some discussion on the topic. Has to do with different voltage from the headunit. Do a search on 'POP SUB', all words, text, all posts. Should find some info.

good luck

You need to install a transistor. The sub pops because the aftermarket amp-on fires at 12v, whereas the stock amp-on is made to receive 5v.

The P/N for the transistor below is from Radio Shack. Splice it on the blue/white wire between your head unit and amp.

An old diagram I did for this....

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts