Aftermarket Upgrade = Better MPG

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 62851

Reaction score
Well here I go. Just thought I'd give an Amen for the little bit of upgrades I've done so far. Before with just 265/75R16 tires, I would get about 260 miles per tank with only using about 20 gallons and I would only be getting about 13mpg. Now after doing the intake upgrade to a MAC and the Mod TB, I'm can get 320 miles per tank and only use 19 gallons of gas. So with those 2 upgrades, also with driving on the highway at a speed between 75-80. I'm getting almost 17mpg. I'm hoping with the next couple of upgrades I have to install. The mpg will increase a little bit more. These are what I need to Install yet: Screamin' Demon Coil Pack, Underdog 8mm Silicone Plug Wire Set, Motorcraft Double Platinum Plugs, Fuel Filter, RT Y-pipe..... I still need to purchase, RT Cat, Magna-Flow exhaust, Xcal2, and then change all fluids to royal purple syn.

But anyway, just thought I'd yell that out there. I'm happy I'm starting to get better fuel mileage, since I have returned to going back to work. I mean, lol only been off of work for a year and 3 weeks lol. Welp, thanks.

I will 2nd Rodger's post. I also have 265/75/16's tires with these additional modifications; KN intake, Todd's TB, Y-pipe, HiFlo Cat, and a Flowmaster Muf. With all that I was somewhere near 340 miles a full tank. I finally did a tune last week with my XCAL2 from BAMA CHIPS and if I have this estimated propperly I am gonna be close to 390-400 miles b4 the check gauge light comes on with this tank!!!!! :)

By the way 260 seems very low. Do u drive aggressively? I normally keep the RPMS under 2500 when I accelerate and I know that has done a ton with my mpg. ALSO CHECK UR TIRE INFLATION!

Dudes are you serious, I get about 240 or so to a full tank... I have 220miles on it right now and I have 1/4 of a tank left......:angry:

Yeah I get crappy gas mileage as well. Can't seem to get up to 12 MPG, seems to be stuck at 11.3, which by the way is CRAP! I might just get rid of this truck because of that. The specs claim 14 mpg city, and I have yet to see that....also I do NOT have a led foot I like to Sunday cruise.

Signed,

Angry New ST owner

Wow, I consistently get 18+ MPG and just this past fill-up I got a whopping 20.4 ... no mods. Wonder what I could get if I started upgrading parts. Hey look! There's a new credit card application! No... no... must... not... be... tempt... ed... to... get... new... credit... card. :wacko:

I've got the lead foot from hell and I'm averaging about 16.5 city and 19 highway with the V8.

Yeah, before I upgraded my tires on the Adrenalin, I was getting a full 350mpt on the truck, but once I upgraded, it cut down a lot. But, I do have a lead foot. I seem to always, have pedal to the metal, but I see the difference it makes, when I take it easy. And I seriously can not wait to do more Mods, to see what better numbers I can get.

oh yeah, mine is an 04 adrenalin 4x4....

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a lead foot, but I do have Todd Z's modified throttle body on my V8 and i'm getting up to 22MPG on the highway. I couldn't be more pleased!:D My overall (city/highway) has been as much as 18........ but averages around 17.6. I burn regular unleaded and keep the RPMs around 2250.

Edit: Bootsy, definitely check your tire pressures and try to keep it under ~2300 RPMs.

2007 4x2 V8 Limited

i noticed one thing you guys arent including with your posts

2x4 or 4x4 as that will make a big difference

Bootsy, view the fine print on the window sticker. When they claim 14mpg city there is also a spot on the sticker with fine print that says something like:

EPA studies for vehicles like this claiming 14mpg city actually get anywhere between 10mpg and 18mpg in city driving.

So, when I see fine print like that I assume the worst-case.

TJR

I've gotten 22 MPG driving 70-75 MPH on the interstates and regularly get 17+ MPG in town.

I suspect that you may actually bet getting better mileage than you realize, because you are speaking of mileage in terms like "About so many miles per Tankfull" and "About so many gallons of gas". That is a very, very inaccurate way to check gas mileage. You need to measure you mileage on your odometer to the tenths and gallons of gas used to the tenths, or even hundredths of a gallon to have any accuracy. Then you have to drive about 5 tanksfull before you can be sure you are getting the same readings consistantly. I have gotten as much as 440 miles to a single tank of gas.

A single tank of gas is not accurate unless you know exactly how much gas you have in your tank when you start and how much gas it takes to fill it to that exact same level. You cannot assume the gas gauge is accurate enough and you can't assume that all pumps will shut off at the exact same level of gas.

If I want to take a single tank reading, I fill my tank untill I can see the gas at the restrictor plate in the gas filler neck. Then I drive at least 100 miles but usually the whole tank. Then refill the tank to exactly the same level of gas that I started with. That will give you a pretty accurate MPG reading.

...Rich

2003 4x4 and I consistantly average 18mpg city/highway mix. Fill up when the trip meter reads 320-340 miles. Never had to put more than 18-19 gal. of gas in.

Now during the winter when I have to use the 4x4 alot, I average about 15-17mpg.;)

OY! I love my ST except for it's mpg issue. I check the tire pressure every week, so I honestly have no idea what the deal is. I drive mostly city, but I thought it would have been around the 14 mpg range. This sucks bad, my lifted Yukon got WAY better gas mileage then this thing. I think it sucks BAD<<<<LOL literally! I might just dump this thing if I can't get it any better, what a shame.

2007 4x4 V8 Limited Sport Trac.....probably limited because not everybody can deal with all the gas it eats up. :angry:

These numbers always seem to be everywhere!!!

I have a 4x4 and really think it has alot to do with driving habits.

Yes my grandmother (85yo) accelerates faster than I do ~ but thats because she also cant tell when the pedal hits the floor board in her v-8 mercedes... :wacko:

But seriously I nurse corners, watch my rpms constantly, brake football fields in advance for stop lights etc. To further my point... My friend, who thinks every car is a race car, and I swapped vechiles for a week a while back to see what we thought of each others rides. Being the sweetheart that he is it was returned to me with no gas and the trip said he only got about 280-90 miles out of it i think.... A rather large drop from what I normally get which I strongly contribute to his heavy foot and overly aggressive driving habits. (braking last minute, heavy acceleration to pass people, forgetting the word cruise is still in the dictionary ;), etc..)