Air Box Mods DIY!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wilson

Reaction score
Here is a good website that I learned a few things from when I had my

Silverado SS Limited (Supercharged 4.3 V-8).

I think we can adapt this mod to our trac airboxes very easily, as most

things here seem to be what we have/are trying to do to get better performance

or mileage from our tracs, just like they are!

This mod took me 3 hours, start to finish, a roto-zip tool from Craftsman, 3

beers, and a little patience and clean up of the plastic shavings.

I think you will enjoy, as it made a noticeable improvement in off-idle throttle

acceleration, and gave the Silverado that "old-school 4 barrel roar",

without any of the whistle or whining!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Some have already done similar, by removing the intake silencer (easy), and others have gone as far as using a hole saw to cut more intake holes.

Others have just gone with a KN/volant/airraid filter/intake assys

I put a set of HID lights on my 2003 Trac, then when I came to this site, I looked at the DIY articles and noticed the "removing the intake silencer" tutorial. My Trac had been running like crap lately, so I figured that more air couldn't hurt. Anyway, to make a long story short, some of my HID wires had managed to get "stuffed" into the intake silencer, there was VERY little room for air. Needless to say, I got a HUGE boost whenever I took the intake silencer out and moved the wires away from the opening. It felt like a new vehicle again!

I just cannot understand why these manufacturers make the intake so restrictive. The engines could easily be made a LOT more efficient by just opening up the airbox. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

baron,

Manufacturers of everyday vehicles have to please everyone...some don't want thier intake to howl, that's what the silencer is for. Some don't want leather, that's why it's an option. It's a balancing act that they have to play to get the most customers they can.

Here's a mod I did to my Volant box...Can't hear a difference because my exhaust is so loud, but I couldn't have hurt anything, and it still shields the heat from the engine bay and has the cool C/F cover.

[Broken External Image]:

Jeff, Wounder whose Idea it was to do that... HMMMMMMMM:cool:

Todd Z