AIR INATKES

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith wallace01ST

Reaction score
OK guys and gals of this wonderful site I have a question I have been beating my head around this for to long time so I want to ask a question about air intake systems I have narrowed it down to 3 and I want to get your opinions….

A the k&n 77 series

B the zabtec true cold air in take

C the Volant cold air intake

These are all great units but... I am so undecided I am going to be adding a walker exhaust with a dyno max muffler and an xcall3 or 2

My goal it to get little better mileage and towing power ….

What do you all think??? Just want to get a feel for what is out there...

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote for the Zabteck (It's the only true "cold air" intake listed)..They do good work, and help keep the site going.. IMO Volant's and K&N's are over priced.. I got my intake off ebay for 45 bucks shipped and it does the job quite well..

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
griff5268

Cool but don’t you need to have the air filter sealed from the engine bay???? Or is that just a thought I see you don’t have a seal / insulated box around yours…

A seal is not required. I have/had a Volant. The C/F on the top of the box started peeling. I cut away the box so it's basically an open air like Griff's. I want to get a Zabteck CAI soon...

Go with the Zabteck intake. I have had a K&N, Mac, and now a Zabteck intake.

1. Best bang/hp for your buck. The others are overpriced compared to the Zabteck.

2. You'll get first-class, outstanding customer service from Zabteck. Much better than what you would receive from the others, mainly because they specialize in Sport Tracs.

3. Supporting a sponsor helps keep this site running and free for all of us.

Oh yeah for sure i have no doubt about that i just dont know what i am buying and so this is why i am curious. I am not doubting any one... I just to see what others have done as far intakes go...

If I had not already built one from a left over mustang K&N. I would go Zabteck and get it out of the engine compartment.

[Broken External Image]:

Getting the filter into the fender, it pulls in a cooler air charge. Cooler air make for a denser air charge and the ecu will adjust for more fuel and make more power.

Am not so certain a true CAI exsists.JMO.

have used the mac for several years, also a scangauge, have found that at Highway speeds the IAT is the same as ambiant, cannot get any colder than ambiant.

I do run a duct from the pass side foglight hole up to the filter, but even when plugged the results are the same.

Perhaps in stop and go traffic an outside filter would be benificial, in 90 deg weather, I have had my IATs get up to 130 in traffic.

They all seem very much alike. It really makes a difference getting rid of the stock box intake. I happen to have gone with a KKM back in early 2004 when I bought the used '01. It was $100 for comparison.

Here is my setup with the Zabtech 73mm MAF attached.

[Broken External Image]:

Am not so certain a true CAI exsists

Here are some of our testing numbers to show the DROP in intake temp using a data logger hooked to the ODB port

At the time of testing the out side temp was 32.

We tested 1 truck right after the next. The time of each test was 10 min.

the time in between tests was 5 min.

Both trucks were at operating temps of 180-190.

The Stock ST at idle and initial take off ran 52-58 intake temps.

Cruising at 70 they dropped to 42-44 degrees.

The True cold intake at idle and initial take off 46-48 degrees.

Cruising at 70 it dropped to a steady 34 degrees !!!!!!

Thank you everyone for your responses about Zabteck and our products.

Keith if you have any more questions please call me, I am available at 631 258 3099. This is my cell.

Paul H

Yeah Bill we did other testings, but those were the first ones I found.

We actually used 3 Tracs when all was said and done mine, Todd's and another member Mathew here on Long Island that day. They were done in different times of the day and the numbers were the same.

Paul H