Air Intake Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Batts

Reaction score
I was curious as to how much HP the poor-man's CAI adds to our Tracs. So far, that's the only performance mod I have. I would like to make a couple more upgrades to the exhaust and t-body, but just can't right now.

A few maybe, nothing the butt dyno would notice, people mod and feel that they make huge gains because of sound changes, is just not true.

have been on the dyno 5 times (costly) but I had a baseline (168 RWHP)with boltons and a good tune am now at 209 RWHP (about 1500 bux total) would I do it again? nope.

I agree with Bill, with the exception of opening up the air box, Zabteck throttle body, put a good quality synthetic oil throughout, and get an SCT XCal III. It all depends on what your looking for and how much you want to spend; and to make my point take a look at Todd Z's profile :eek:.

Thanks Rodger..

If my math is correct, thats about $35 bucks a horse power..... Daily driven, all the time at the foot......

thats a 41 HP gain for $1,500 bucks...

Not too bad, yes it could be lower like around $20-25 on a V8 car or truck......

The ST is not a race vehicle, But it can be loads of fun with an extra 40 HP under the hood !!!

The S/C is a 75 horse improvement for 4,000 bucks... thats $53.00 a HP.....

Not knocking the S/C but it is your money and you do what you want.... But don't expect mustang performance from the ST....

Todd Z

C'mon, guys... Do we spend the $$$ on mods because we really think we're going to gain massive amounts of HP?

I think we can all truthfully say no. We do it 'cause it's FUN!!!:cool::banana::D

It may be fun, but the reality is, your driving a lead sled, be it a gen 1 or gen 2 V8

Mine can actually run with the 6er stangs (but why)

will in the next few mos be removeing all my toys and going back to OEM

will post them in swap and sell as they come off.

trac is today just a DD, just rolled 50 K miles, i think I can roll another 100K no problem.

Modding tracs for performance is a waste of $$$$$$$$, jmo

Bill,

Like I said, I know that my 5,000 lb ST will never run like a Mustang, but it's still fun to mod and play with it. I personally just do it 'cause I'm a gearhead and love to tinker and play with my vehicles.

When you remove your mods, are you planning on removing the PML tranny pan? If so, I'd be interested in it...;)

Last edited by a moderator:
john Z

Am older and wizer, The mods where fun to do, doing 5 dynos to prove the points where fun to do, all the experimention with intakes, exhaust, mafs, TBs, UDs, Efans, SCT. was all fun to do.

But, the trac is My DD. just rolled 50K miles after 7 yrs, when the price of gas got near 5 bux a gal, I changed my driving habits big time, do not need any perf mods anymore.

mods are fun, do them if you need them.

I dodder on down the freeway at 60 MPH, perf mods do nothing for me anymore with the trac

has been a great truck, will get I hope maybe 150K more miles.

Mod them if you have a need guys.Support your vendors, in the end you just have a 5000 lbe truck that will always be SLOOOOOOOOOOO

I have a rule of thumb that I use in determining adequate performance and thus safety. A vehicle should be able to go 0-60 in 8.5 seconds or lower. Slower vehicles, in my opinion, are marginal in handling situations that require a level of performance such as short highway on ramps, accident avoidance, etc. I will mod a vehicle to get that range of performance. Other mods address adequate stopping and handling. Just my 2 cents.

Bill, that's the minimum. Do you think a stock Trac will beat that?. I don't think so. I prefer my vehicles to be 7 seconds or better, however, your not going to get a 4700 truck to do that without serious bucks.

Bill, what's the time on your Trac and what is the least performance you'll feel comfortable with?

This blog deserves a "double take" coming from the advocates of ST performance upgrades.

Regardless of their previous posts and enthusiasm many of them have shared, I appreciate the forthright honesty. I just re-visited one of my favorite sites, KBB (cars.com). According to their "Estimated Performance Specs", my stock '05 XLS can zero to sixty in 8.76. I am a quarter second "short" of acceptable. My question. What sensible performance "upgrade" would make my ST "safe", if any. You guys notice your brakes wear faster than "average" drivers? Hmmmm

How many of us have blown by a car, without reason, only to avoid eye contact at the next stop light or intersection. I believe driving can transform the most rational individuals into (expletives)

Changing the subject entirely.

My perception of safety is:

1. Don't follow too close. (One car length for every 10 MPH minimum-Two lengths raining)

2. Be defensive (pedestrians, bicycles, buses, and everyone but you owns the road)

3. Use turn signals (visualize world peace) great bumper sticker from the past

4. Pay attention and drive (cell phones, texting , reading, makeup, eating, etc., etc)

Not necessarily in the order listed. (Way more to mention here)

Still think the world of you guys-hopefully an "off night" Steve (the edit guy)

Responses and Opinions more than welcome. Thanks.

swshawaii, any mod that increases torque will improve acceleration. Better intake breathing and exhaust helps. Probably the best single improvement can be gotten with a new program tune. This can be better maximized with other mods such as exhaust and intake.

Most mods people do, in my opinion, is to make there vehicle a little different, look, ride, perform a little better. Is it cost affective? There is always the factor a diminishing returns. If it make you feel good, your not taking food out of your family's mouth, and your not going into hock...go for it in my opinion.

Attn: Mike C.

If I wanted a "hot rod", I would have bought a Mustang. If you can believe, my first car was a "hand me down" 1970 "Boss 429". She was my first true love and I kick myself today for "trading up" to a new 1972 "Gran Torino Sport". I am still humiliated looking at the selling prices of this true "classic". (429 BossTang) Nobody told me only 500 were made. Thanks buddy, just needed a shoulder to cry on. LOL. Steve :(

swshawaii, back in '68 a buddy of mine was interested in a Mustang Shelby GT 500. We went to Gothem Ford in Manhattan. While there there was a very nice sports car, a Shelby Cobra 427. I asked the price and it was about $5K,. Considering the GT 500 was about $3200 it seemed pretty reasonable. I looked at the speedometer and there was 4K miles on the odometer. I remember commenting to the salesman " You want to sell a used car for $5K. What are you crazy?" I guess it was me that was crazy.

Isn't hindsight great?..............................MikeC

corrected block size...it was a 427 not a 429

One thing I can say I'm "perfect" at is H-I-N-D-S-I-T-E. ( I didn't say spelling) LOL