air intake

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith wallace01ST

Reaction score
I have a question about the Zabtek air intake/ filter and this is not to degrade the product but I live in an area wear we get allot of snow... They put allot of sand and salt on the roads... I see that I have to drill a 3.75" hole in the inner fender and I mount it...Will the filter get filled with sand and salt and crap and will the -20 affect it any... As far as the freeze and thaw cycle???? I like the product and it seem to be the more complete way of doing things.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd, Paul or George will have all the answers you want, but I do know that you do not HAVE to drill a hole if you do not want to. True, then it will not be a "true" cold air intake, but this is better than nothing (I think, anyway). Also, I have seen that someone has a pre-filter wrap on theirs to help protect it.

I know when they were testing those out, they didn't have any problem at all with moisture getting to the system. (they did alot of rainy day testing) The wheel well liners kept them protected. Not much water can get into that area. Dust would be the only concern, but that's what the filter is for.;)

I have a question about the Zabtek air intake/ filter and this is not to degrade the product but I live in an area wear we get allot of snow... They put allot of sand and salt on the roads... I see that I have to drill a 3.75" hole in the inner fender and I mount it...Will the filter get filled with sand and salt and crap and will the -20 affect it any... As far as the freeze and thaw cycle???? I like the product and it seem to be the more complete way of doing things.....

Keith...

We get snow here and they salt heavily and we have had no problems...

The hole is drilled on the inner fender well and goes into the fender. The fender is sealed with the fender plastic trim so no dirt, water or debris can get in there. Please check out the videos on our site of Todd going through deep puddles of water with no problems. We pulled down the fender well plastics afterwards and the filter was dry as a bone and as clean as the day we installed it.

When you turn on the heat, it runs the hot coolant around the pcv and through the throttle body to prevent it from icing up, so you shouldn't have a problem

The pic below shows the filter and how clean it is. And the link below brings you to the CAI page where the video are.

Paul H

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator: