Airbox Silencer Removal - Modified

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Cloutier

Reaction score
I removed the silencer from the airbox on my '04 this weekend (I also did this on my '01) and wanted to share a little something I had done, now that I have a digital camera. I was concerned that the opening left in the intake airbox after removing the sliencer would act as a sharp orifice, creating noise and drag from turbulence as the incoming air passed through. If you look at the silencer, it is actually a pretty good nozzle, which makes the flow of air into the intake more efficient, although the throat diameter is pretty small.

I was also concerned about the intake picking up hot air from the engine bay. The stock silencer stuck out beyond that little plastic splash guard, which would help pick up cold air from outside the engine compartment at slow speeds.

After removing the stock silencer, I attached a piece of flexible intake hose to the lip surrounding the opening in the airbox:

[Broken External Image]:

I used 2 5/16" x 3 11/16" rectangular hose, which fits the opening in the airbox perfectly. This time I picked the hose up at NAPA for about $12. When I did this on my '01, I got the hose from Pep Boys. There are two reinforcing ribs on the airbox that need to be notched for the hose to attach properly. I cut the hose to about 6" in length and trimmed the splash guard behind the right headlight so the intake hose could fit through.

I don't know if there is a great benefit to adding an intake hose, but it's a pretty cheap mod.[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
If it gets 5 degree cooler air in warmer weather, It was worth it...

Todd Z

About a year and a half ago, I did the same thing in theory, just a different approach.

[Broken External Image]: