Ait/heat question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife's car quit blow cool air or heat today after filling up with gas. It sounds like the compressor is kicking on, but no air will come out, hot or cold. Any ideas? Its a 98 Ford Contour. Maybe a fuse or blower motor? I coun't find a fuse associated with a blower motor. Just looking for ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, lets determine what we have.

Can you hear the bower motor, by that, when you turn the fan to higher speeds can you hear it.

If so, regardless of the temperature, do you feel air coming out ANY of the vents?

And, if you change the vent from defrost to the floor, does it really blow the air onto the floor or does if blow onto the windshield, (defrost), no matter what???

I do not hear the blower motor when I turn the heat or ac on. Air doesn't come out period through the vents on the dash or dash board/floor. Does that help?

Well then, you may simply have a defective motor. If you can get to the plug of the motor, (if not, trace the wire back and you can pierce it) test for voltage. You want to see if you get various voltage depending on the level you select on the dash. It will probably range 6 volts to 12 volts (DC).

If you do, then you have a bad motor or a bad ground.

Now, before you go nuts, check you fuses, make sure they are all good, if not, then nothing else mattes...

Thanks Coastiejoe, apparently it isn;t the fuse or the motor. I think it is a resistor. It started working again this morning, and since the resistor was replaced last summer for a somewhat similar problem, I am thinking it may be that causing the problem.