ALASKA CANADA HIGHWAY

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan Tugby

Reaction score
Gentlemen

I am driving my 4x2 2001 ST down the Al/Can from Alaska. I am also towing roughly an 800 lb UHAUL car dolly with a 3000 lbs Toyota Rav 4. That puts me towing roughly 4000lbs of dead weight.

Do any of you forsee any problems with the ability of my truck to pull this amount of weight?

Any advice?

The only problem I see is u-haul. Otherwise, no problem. Have a safe trip!

You do have a frame mounted hitch, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't Rav4s AWD? If so, then you shouldn't use a dolly. I'd use a trailer. Additionally, a dolly just has two straps holding onto the front wheels. I wouldn't trust them for a 2,000-3,000 mile trip, especially on the ALCAN, since the road conditions aren't ideal at this time of year. Just my opinion, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

I do have a frame mount hitch and also the rav4 I am towing is not a AWD. Also the straps on the U-Haul are sturdy with no fraying. It should be fine.

Any other inputs guys?

Not sure how rough the AlCan is, but I towed a Ford Contour for 1000 miles on a tow dolly shortly after we bought our 2003 Trac new. The last 100 miles or so were in the hills around Knoxville. Our Trac now has over 100,000 miles on it without any problems.

I think some members here have reported that independent U-Haul stores will rent to Explorer owners - you show up, you get a trailer.

What's the condition of the AlCan Highway these days?

3 years ago I could not find anyone to rent a trailer to me when I had the 03 ST. Was specifically told it was against company policy due to the rollover propensity that was in hype at the time