Alignment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacy Waldrep

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Sport Trac 4x4 and I need to get an alignment before I get new tires since the fronts are wearing out pretty bad on the inside. I got the preferred specs from Hal S and the explanation that a kit isn't needed. The shop can just remove the stock washers and replace with a regular washer if they need more room to adjust camber. I'm just afraid this is going to be a stressful ordeal trying to explain that to a shop and get them to do it. I'm expecting them to tell me that I need a kit and then I'll have to convince them that I don't. Does anybody have any experience dealing with this and have the shops you've gone to been accepting of the no kit required explanation? I'd love to hear from some of you so that I'll know a little better what to expect.

If you are getting inner tire wear, very likely you will need camber kits.

Real question is if you want the shop to supply and install them.

Not real difficult although the rear drivers side camber bolt is confined.

Use Moog or NAPA, the hardware quality seems better than others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, am having issues with negative camber on my '03 ST. What is the consensus......Is there NO adjustment for camber when the stock stuff is in place? Or....Is the camber adjusting kit in the above link required in order to adjust camber at all? I would like to have some information when I go back to the shop to gripe & complain........

Cheers!!

2001 to 2003 Need kit. -------------- 2004-2005 No kit needed..

Todd Z

Ditto, no stock camber adjusters on my '05.

Eddie and swshawaii, 2004 and up are not going to have a kit installed on them and some places will tell you that you need a kit to adjust camber. But, as explained by some on here, on 2004 and newer you can just remove the stock square washer and replace it with a regular washer that will allow adjustment. Then you just tighten down the bolt and it will hold without having the kit washers with the offset hole. This is what is meant by not needing a kit by Todd. Like I said, some shops will still tell you that you need a kit but according to some on here, you don't. I'm just wondering how to deal with shops who insist that you do.

If you can get within spec using washers, and they refuse to do it without camber kits,

it's time to find another alignment shop.

Hopefully, you are getting a "free" alignment inspection at the time. Wish you the best.

Stacy- Very important detail I forgot to mention. I am lowered over 2" in front.

That's the reason I needed camber kits, not because it's a 2005. Apologies. :banghead:

swshawaii - that makes sense. Mine is totally stock. The right front tire isn't too bad but is still wearing more on the inside than outside but the left front is in bad shape. It's wearing on the inside much worse and also has one area that seems to be a flat spot on the inner half of the tire. I know an alignment will fix the wear on the inside but not sure about the flat spot and what would have caused that. I'm sure I need new shocks too but I can't afford much right now.

Just spoke with a shop here in San Diego, they told me I need the kit. Called a parts supplier, they said the "cam bolt kit" which has 2 per side, allowing for + / - 2 degrees adjustment, is for Sport Tracs from '03 - '06. I understand that just b/c they make them doesn't mean I need them. Should I look for a new shop? Thanks.

For the '01, the "camber kit" is not necessary. I believe Moog sells two versions of the upper a-arms - one with and one without the camber kit. Without the camber kit, alignments are accomplished the "old fashioned" way, with shims. It's a bit inconvenient for the mechanic, but I think shims are better as I've yet to have an alignment keep for long with the camber kit.

2001 to 2003 Need kit. -------------- 2004-2005 No kit needed..

Todd Z
Hi Todd,
Original owner of a 2004 Trac XLT, production date August 2003. Hope pix show relevant details, but in person I see cams, which are not "engaged" or doing anything. I don't know if they're OEM, b/c it's possible a few years after I bought the truck I may have taken it for an alignment and told I needed a kit, and that I just don't remember. A few years ago a shop said shims were all I needed, but I don't see any installed. Can you see from pix any details? Thanks.

Attachments

• FrontAlignment1221 (1).JPG
    FrontAlignment1221 (1).JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 55
  • FrontAlignment1221 (2).JPG
    FrontAlignment1221 (2).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 57
  • FrontAlignment1221 (3).JPG
    FrontAlignment1221 (3).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 54
  • FrontAlignment1221 (4).JPG
    FrontAlignment1221 (4).JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 51
  • FrontAlignment1221 (5).JPG
    FrontAlignment1221 (5).JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 50
  • FrontAlignment1221 (6).JPG
    FrontAlignment1221 (6).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 53
Hi Todd,
Original owner of a 2004 Trac XLT, production date August 2003. Hope pix show relevant details, but in person I see cams, which are not "engaged" or doing anything. I don't know if they're OEM, b/c it's possible a few years after I bought the truck I may have taken it for an alignment and told I needed a kit, and that I just don't remember. A few years ago a shop said shims were all I needed, but I don't see any installed. Can you see from pix any details? Thanks.

Correct, the 03 and up came with the washers needed... Unless you raise or lower.... 01-02ish 03 needed the kit to move them.

What are the current camber and caster readings?
see attached.
red -1.3 deg camber green -1.1 deg
green 2.3 deg caster red 2.9 deg
green -0.03 deg toe red -0.28 deg
thanks.

Attachments

• AlignmentCheck122edit.pdf
    10.7 MB · Views: 41
For the '01, the "camber kit" is not necessary. I believe Moog sells two versions of the upper a-arms - one with and one without the camber kit. Without the camber kit, alignments are accomplished the "old fashioned" way, with shims. It's a bit inconvenient for the mechanic, but I think shims are better as I've yet to have an alignment keep for long with the camber kit.
I can't find a shop which will do the alignment on my '04 with shims, they all say I need a camber kit. I'm tempted to buy a kit and install it myself and then take it in for an alignment. Does anybody have suggestions on that idea? I'd rather find a shop to align it with shims, but no luck yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts