Am I headed for transmission failure ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo novo

Reaction score
I have a late 2001. 140k on it. It sounds like the transmission doesn't want to go into a higher gear. By that I mean that even though the RPMs drop to between 1 & 2, then engine sounds like its still in low or 4wd gear. Is this a common occurrence or should I have it checked out.

What explanations should I be looking for from the mechanic before they take me for a ride on a new transmission.:(

It does shift. I can hear the change and the RPMs reflects the change by rising and dropping.

No flashing OD. Never changed the Trans. fluid, I've heard pros and cons about that. No flairing, just the volume in engine noise remains constant.:wacko:

Actually, the 5R55E is a five speed with overdrive and there are five shifts (two of which are overdrive - first is overdriven to create second and then the typical overdrive).

Tom's question stands.

Oh, you are probably headed for trouble. Definitely get it checked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yardsale,,You startout in first you are only going to experiance 4 shifts and that is 5 forward gears. Count it on your fingers and dont count 1st gear, you start out in it.

Freddy,, Is it possible that the clutch on your fan has locked up and is not freewheeling. That will make alot of noise under the hood.

Oops - the overdrive isn't really another gear (it just feels like a shift when it engages).

The 2-3 shift flair the Eddie notes is popular in that year. Get it checked while it might be saved.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 5th gear is the OD..

You might also feel the torque converter lock up. That can feel like a shift sometimes.

Freddy,, maybe the torque converter insnt locking up. Causing the Engine RPM to be a couple hundred higher.

Well. the mechanic says it is a driver side bearing problem. $300 for parts and $60/hr for labor. I'm happy It's not transmission so i Guess it's worth the cost. I know $300 seems a little excessive but that appears to be the going rate. If I had the BIG bearings I would attempt to fix myself for half the price. I just don't have the tools nor the time. Thanks for all your replys.