amperage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bryant

Reaction score
Is it a fuse or circuit breaker connecting the outlet in the bed and what is the amp rating? I want to run my boat winch which requires a 50 amp breaker.

I think chad meant if you changed the circuit breaker to a 50 amp the smoke you see will come from the melting insulation on the feed wire.

I was only going to use it for the weekend and run a new circuit when I have the time to do it right (unless it would carry enough amps ). I plan on going to the power supply in front of the fuse box with a fuse or breaker for a permanent solution now that I have this info.

Thanks guys.

I had a similar need for a very temporary situation......I used a 20' jumper cable to run from the front to the back of the vehicle...unfused...I would not recommend it, but it did work......

Hooked it up for a few minutes, unhooked it when done, dropped the hood...called it good......

cheers,

You won't be able to use that circuit, or the fuse block, for a 50 amp circuit. You will have to run a new heavy gauge wire all the way to the battery. Be sure you put a 50 or 60 amp fuse in the line just in case something goes wrong and the circuit gets shorted.