Annoying squeaking/chirping noise when ST bounces on uneven pavement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian b 2

Reaction score
Hi all,

My ST is squeaking everything it bounces from uneven pavement.

I hear this same squeak when I bring down my tail gate.

Where should I start looking?

Thanks in advance.

Sway bar end links. Mine were replaced under warranty. The part in question is the one in this picture, just to the right of my right rear shock, that has the white sticker on it.

[Broken External Image]:

I had the same problem. Turned out to be the actual handle on the tailgate. Sprayed it with wd-40 and it fixed it.

Same problem as well. When I shake the tailgate, I can hear it, but not as pronounced. The latches on the ends are part of the problem, but I think the main problem is from the sway bar endlinks or the leaf springs.

Do you have to get the end links replaced or can you grease them yourself or something?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just came across a post that answered that question.

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced the left endlink when this started on my 02. When the noise came back on the right end link, I just cut a piece of rubber in a circle and drilled a hole in it and created a bushing between the bar and the end link and tightened it down. The metal on metal between the endlink bolt and the bar wears down. At least that was my problem.

My bar on my'04 was the bushings where the bar connects to the rear axle..I installed grease zerts and pumped grease in and squeek stoped..never had any noise from the end links..

When my end links had a problem, they sounded like a rattling or clunking sound when I went over bumps. The swaybar bushings that attach to the axle is where the squeaking on mine was coming from. I pulled off the bushing brackets and greased them, and that worked fine for about 6 months and they started again. I replaced the bushing brackets with greasable ones and have not had a problem in 2 years now...

I think it was Todd Z. who was selling greasable bushing brackets. Might check it out. They do work well!

spare tire not cranked up all the way?

These days, I have a small rubber mallet for going down below and banging on things to find chirps.

Last edited by a moderator: