Another big scare...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex dougherty

Reaction score
Lets just say i had another big scare with my sport trac today... I was driving down one of the busiest streets in our town, four lane road with a speed limit of 55mph when all of a sudden i hear this huge pop like something snapped and i have no steering for about a second or two. Mean while while i cant steer the steering wheel is going back and forth and so is the truck going left to right left to right back and forth really fast and into the lane next to me.... Fortunately i was close to a friends house. When i regained control of the truck I still had steering but there was a lot of play in the steering wheel now. after i got to my friends house i checked under neath and sure enough my rack and pinion was cracked. I couldn't figure out how that happen though since i was just driving down a normal road. I figured oh i can make it to my house if i just put my hazards on and go slow... big mistake. My house is only a mile away from his but I only made it about about a block and a half before i had major problems. Long story short when i didnt only crack my rack and pinion, Oh no it couldnt just end there i broke my hub assembly so the wheels just barely hanging on and its in the middle of the busy street. I had no way of getting home unless i called my other friend that has a car hauler. But to get that i had to drive the truck to the shoulder of the road, lock it and leave it there for three hours hopeing no one would run into it or steal it. When we got back with the trailer the wheel is even farther bent, its a miracle how we got it up on the trailer, it shouldve snapped off but fortunetly it didnt. Anyways right now its sitting on the trailer with a couple blocks under it so if the wheel does give way it wont go through the fender. I took some pictures of it and ill try and see if i can post them to give you a better view and explenation of what happened. Sorry for it being so long:cry::cry::eek:nline:

Wow, glad you have the opportunity to post about that. It could have gone a lot differently. Good that everyone is safe.

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Sorry not the best pictures but ill take more tomarrow during the day

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets just say i had another big scare with my sport trac today... I was driving down one of the busiest streets in our town, four lane road with a speed limit of 55mph when all of a sudden i hear this huge pop like something snapped and i have no steering for about a second or two. Mean while while i cant steer the steering wheel is going back and forth and so is the truck going left to right left to right back and forth really fast and into the lane next to me.... Fortunately i was close to a friends house. When i regained control of the truck I still had steering but there was a lot of play in the steering wheel now. after i got to my friends house i checked under neath and sure enough my rack and pinion was cracked. I couldn't figure out how that happen though since i was just driving down a normal road. I figured oh i can make it to my house if i just put my hazards on and go slow... big mistake. My house is only a mile away from his but I only made it about about a block and a half before i had major problems. Long story short when i didnt only crack my rack and pinion, Oh no it couldnt just end there i broke my hub assembly so the wheels just barely hanging on and its in the middle of the busy street. I had no way of getting home unless i called my other friend that has a car hauler. But to get that i had to drive the truck to the shoulder of the road, lock it and leave it there for three hours hopeing no one would run into it or steal it. When we got back with the trailer the wheel is even farther bent, its a miracle how we got it up on the trailer, it shouldve snapped off but fortunetly it didnt. Anyways right now its sitting on the trailer with a couple blocks under it so if the wheel does give way it wont go through the fender. I took some pictures of it and ill try and see if i can post them to give you a better view and explenation of what happened. Sorry for it being so long:cry:😢:eek:nline:
Wow! Unbelievable it would just all give at one time. I just saw hubs on Amazon
Not sure about Rack??? Wow!
Thankfully your safe, well done keeping it together under pressure!