Another MPG Post, Unfortunetly

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George T

Reaction score
Yea, I know that another member that just posted a MPG post, but I think my situation is a little different from his. And this is really getting ridicilous. This is on a 4x4 '04 ST with 69,3xx miles on it. This is my MPG from the past 3 fill ups... 14.1, 14.8, 11.8 MPG. I have no freaking idea what is causing this. This is on a stock '04 4x4 ST. Before I got like 16-17 in the city and now this.

-When I started noticing a loss in MPG, I replaced my aftermarket air intake to the stock air intake thinking it was causing it. And yes I disconnected the battery.-

-I put synthetic in it at 65k miles.

-Need new lower ball joints, according to my dealer.

-Cleaned the MAF while I still had the aftermarket air intake on. But I dont think that helped, I think it only made it worse. Or the slide just continued.

-Replaced the air filter

-Im running like 32psi in my tires, I dont want to do anymore since the ride will be more harsh, especially on the crappy Colorado roads.

-I just drive to school, then back home, (about a 6 mile round trip) and to work a couple of days a week (about 2 miles to work). This is all city. I am easy on the gas, try to keep it at about 2,000 RPM's, but sometimes they go up to 2,500.

I really hope there is something I can do about this. Or is this just the city mileage. But it seems kind of unreasonable for a V-6 especially with how I drive.

Please help, anyone

Thank you,

George T.

PS, once again sorry for posting two MPG's post right next to each other

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have stated, Your mileage is not bad for city driving. In fact it is pretty darn good for city drivingand short trip driving (under 5 miles one way)

You also said that you were driving back and forth to school. If you just started back to school, that would probably mean that you did not drive to school during the summer and now traffic has increased. I know in my town, traffic increases dramatically when school starts up in the fall. I notice my mileage drops because of the heavy traffic, longer lights. and just more congestion. Sport Trac's are heavy vehicles which do not take stop-n-go driving very well. Every time you stop and have to accelerate back up to speed, the vehicle eats a lot mor gas than if you could just cruise at the same speed.

...Rich

My completely stock 03 with 5 speed manual, Pennzoil synthetic (always), Motorcraft filter, Purolator air filter at every oil change, 3500 miles, consistently gets 19 mpg. Has 45000 miles on it and has always gotten this mileage. 12 miles to work one way and 3 miles of city driving included.

On an interstate trip it will get between 20 and 24 mpg. Yhis is why I refuse to do any mods.

I just don't think I can improve on this. If it changes I will do whatever is necessary even if it includes all new sensors and plugs at the same time.

I say this is the best vehicle I have ever owned and I am 60 and have had quite a few.

Just a satisfied Trac Lover.

Don pertz

Cool thanks guys. Yea, I am really leaning toward it being that I basically drive the ST on a cold engine to school in the morning, and then through all the traffic on the way back. So the ST doesnt really get to coast or drive in ideal conditions.

Thanks again everyone,

George T.

I take it you have no CEL (check engine light) and that you have noticed no mechanical differences in the drive. For example the car binding up in turns or coasting to a stop more quickly.

My only thought is perhaps a vacuum hose is not quite in the best shape and you have a leak. This could cause MPG related symptoms and only really big leaks throw a code or effect idle. The Vacuum elbow near the throttle body is rather prone to break down and the vacuum line that goes to the fuel tank emissions control -forget what its called but I am talking about the device in the drivers side fender underneath the battery. I had both go in my trac and replacing the lines was a vast noticeable improvement in throttle response and mpg.

Worth an investigation any way right. :huh:

Although you have to take my advice with a few grains of salt... My Final MPG solution was to put a V8 in my trac.:D

-Don D.

Now you all know why they give the disclaimer: "Your mileage may vary". So I guess it's true...not everyone driving in Manhattan, NY can get the same mileage as someone driving the same vehicle in Manhattan, Kansas....Wow, Go figure?? :wacko:

...Rich

Don,

No, my check engine light is not on. And I have not noticed any mechanical issues. I had to take off the breather box (the one by the spare in the back), so I dont know if I didnt reconnect something and it could have affected it?

Okay, can you tell me about the Vacuum hose and elbow...can you maybe post a pic of the hose and the elbow that you are talking about. Isnt the fuel tank emissions control, in the back of the ST (by the spare)? Or is that the breather box, which is different from the emissions control? I think this might be a problem because my throttle response does kind of suck... Can you help me out more with this, because I am not sure where these lines or the elbows are at.

Is this vacuum, the same one that provides air into the cabin? OR is that something completely different?

Thank you so much,

George T

Don D,

My trac isn't getting worse mileage, it's pretty much sucked since I got it (14-15 on short commute to work, 18-19 on the run), probably due to the premium with the higher ratio diff and slightly larger tires than the base trac. I am curious about what you said about the vacuum system. I've got a CEL that will come on about two weeks after it gets cleared, either with a code reader or by disconnecting the battery. I can't remember what the code was, but the kid at Autozone said 'you didn't tighten your gas cap enough', which I know wasn't true. I've been trying to find some vacuum/emmissions hoses tubing diagrams to check to make sure nothing has broken or come loose, but I can't find any. You didn't find any anywhere, did you?