Another PATs problem ><

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombstones81

Reaction score
This piece of junk system is Really getting on my nerves~!!!!
How the hell has Ford not been held accountable & not had a recall to fix these pieces of crap! ( oh yeah, Big Coorp.........)
(based on how many for vehicles have problems with the system)

Is it possible to Deprogram a key??

Removed the keys chip last night (hole in key top, just pushes the chip holder out)
& taped it directly onto the sensor (round part that goes behind the ignition)
System had all night to reset / unlock, but still kept flashing Theft this morning.
Now unplugged the battery & leaving it sit like that for awhile.

Just asking if its possible to Deprogram a key to eliminate that possibility if you cant without a tool.

& anything else I should be inspecting?
Going to try and find the new sensor I bought last year that hardly worked, to see if the current one shit the bed.
& inspect the wiring behind the plug (truck side) the sensor plugs into
(some tape on the wires I assume is from the buy here pay here place who had it before me & had that whole GPS, remote shut off bullcrap wired into it)

Truck acted up a lot for the wife, but not for me, so that was fine.
But now its totally unusable & ticking me off to the point im about to fix & sell it~!

Trying to get it working with my current key first, just in case theres an actual problem with the system.
Before I call a locksmith to cut & program New keys.
As if the system is messed up somewhere, I will just be wasting their time.

Well, it is possible for them to become "deprogrammed"...zapped by static electricity while handling, physical damage, age, smacked by high energy partical from deep space, karma, butterflies flapping their wings, the universe is a strange place.
Have you had the codes read yet, or interpreted the blink code?

You won't be wasting the locksmith's time, they will get paid, you will be wasting your money.

The dealer could have screwed something up when their hacks installed the GPS tracker. Splicing into a system is not a great idea and used car places are not exactly.known for their quality of work.

Code 13
So basically, the key is fuxxed.
Which is a Good thing actually!
I dont mind having a problem, its having trouble figuring out exactly what it is that drives me insane!

& since there is a code for the reader itself, then that just confirms its 100% the key.

That all correct & am I now safe to call a locksmith? (anyone who can confirm)
Could there be more codes? if so, how to read them? (blinking codes)
it cycled through code 13, three times before I turned the key off (not sure how many more times it would have)

(edit)
still going to find my extra transceiver first & test that out tho.
"better safe then sorry"

Last edited:
IME and online research... it should repeat ten times before it turns itself off.
- Blink ... 2sec pause ... blink blink blink
- ... 4sec pause ...
- Repeat.

Just so you know... you can pay a locksmith $100-150 to make you a new key or you can get FORScan and a compatable ODB2 connector for about $50 and do it yourself (plus the cost of a new key, around $20 I think). Then you will have a code reader handy for future use. Will need to make sure you get a connector capable of programming, not just reading, Then sign up for the free 2 month FORScan unlock.

Code 13 could still be the ring. Seems to mean "not receiving a good signal". Could be key, ring, or wiring. Yeah, that doesn't help much, sorry. Code 11 seems to mean "ring not talking to me", specifically.

Last edited:
No luck finding the MFer yet~!!! (extra transceiver)

So if I dont find it by tomorrow, just going to run down to the U-Pull-it yard & snag one or two off of some junk ST's.
$10 to $15 for sensors.
I would rather pay that then have a locksmith come & chance it Not being the key & have ti pay for his time.

& ty
Found the correct plug to use a PC on the vehicle.
Only one problem.....
No laptop :(
& my desktop pc was too expensive of a build to chance lugging it out to the truck & hooking it all up in there. haha

Already have 2 or more blank keys I would need cut.
Bought them before being told by one locksmith, they would need to use their own keys designed for the hardware & software they use.

hmmmm
my old tower still works but the case is Fing HUGE!
Going to look into it more today & consider it

Where are you? I have laptops, they are old but they work. Wouldn't be worth shipping but if you can pick up you can have one of them. Old laptops make great garage computers.
I would probably just set that big chunk up in the garage on a wheeled cart.

Awesome offer but im in Pennsylvania.

I'll just lug my previous PC out to it, once I fire it back up & confirm it works still (been like 2 years since I started it)
Only problem is, its like 2 ft high & 2.5 ft long.
But its outdated & worth nowhere near what my current build is.

is this the correct one?
watched a few videos & glad I did~!
First one I found was $40 & this ones just $22. :D

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083FML51...wg=Tko8o&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_img

Oh I know it will work on FORScan
Just wasnt 100% sure which obd plug my 05 ST had.
Since the one I linked says OBD2, I assume there are multiple types.

& just confirmed mine is obd2 & the adapter works with forscan :)

Only thing left for me to worry about, is if the keys I got will work.
& luckily I dont need my truck until Weds.
My 2 appointments are right down the hill from my house Mon & Tues :)

Dad had heart surgery on Weds (doing good), 2 of my kids broke their arm 2 days apart last week. (doing good as well)
So I've been the taxi, taking everyone to their appointments & its been crazy!
So I need to get this fixed before then. (thank you Prime!) haha

Tombstone, You say that you have your key and a spare, you can buy two blanks with chips in them and have Ace hardware cut to fit. I can't find the site that sold me the blanks, but 'sure there are many. Or send me a stamped address envelope and I'll send an extra blank to you. I have 3 for my truck so I don't need it.
Ed

ty but im good
& I only have One key that works for the truck :(

I have 2 of these yet to be cut & programmed.
Just checked my previous amazon orders to confirm.
Bought Nov 2020 haha

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYTLMBN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So I will have them cut & once the adapter arrives, will program them in.

(edit)
Just went out to try it again.
This time I put the chip back in the key earlier.
Theft light went out on the first try (thats happened twice+ before but wouldnt work after)
Then two more times immediately after!

So now I am not touching it again until I'm ready to program the extra keys!

OBD2 adapter will be out for delivery today already (love Prime when its Needed)
Now to register & get the free trial & hope it gets authorized before the tool arrives
Getting the keys cut today & hopefully programmed.

Will update on how it goes, in hoping it will help other ST owners in similar situations.

Hopefully a new key will fix your problem. Best of luck to you.
Amazon also has the transponder ring for way less than ebay.

Yeah I bought the one I cant find from amazon.
Oddly, it wouldnt pick up the chip unless it was literally Right on Top of the friggin key!
The original one read it normally, so I left that one in.

& got the tool.
old PC all fired up, on it now with the program installed & just waiting on the limited license email to come.

1 out of 2 keys have been cut.
the cutter/file or whatever it is caught a part of the key & sent it flying.
ended up cutting too deep & ruined the key.
accidents happen, is no problem :)
other one was cut properly & turns the ignition.

Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA ATX Full Tower Case is what I have to lug out to the truck.
(its HUGE!) haha

Truck read the key fine again this morning.

kk waiting on the email & will update when I am done.

if all goes well, programming new keys will have only cost me like $45 for the tool & 2 keys.

(edit)
and it Figures!!!!!
Wife was waiting for me before going to the store.
Said its going to take 1 to 2+ hours, so just go.
Truck Just pulled away & the email just popped up hahahaha

Attachments

• 272412038_10226085017333162_2304787140166221898_n.jpg
    272412038_10226085017333162_2304787140166221898_n.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
D O N E ! ! ! ! ! :D :D :D

That was easy & WELL worth the measily $45 it cost me :D
Now to buy 2 more of the same keys.

The problem was the stupid key that came with the truck (the Only key)
& just bought 2 more of the same keys for $16.86 (cheaper then when I bought them in 2020)

Tried the new key after it finished, multiple times & the Theft light just lit right up instantly.
Truck immediately started up without stopping at Run like I usually do, to make sure the Theft light isnt blinking.

Old key.
Theft light would take a second to light up, even if there wasnt an issue.
When I would try to go from Off right to starting it, there would be a delay.

Tried the old key afterwards & indeed, half the time the theft light was blinking.

THANK YOU Blert~!!!!
not sure I would have had good success without costing me a nice chunk of money if I didnt find out about that tool & software!

Excelent. Now you have a cool new toy and as many keys as you want for less than half the price of a locksmith making you ONE key. You can do all sorts of diagnosis, gather data, and run operations that only Ford can do.
Find yourself an old laptop at a thrift/pawn shop and you can drive around and gather all sorts of telemetry.
BTW, when your two month unlock runs out you can always request it again. 😀

Im good for now.
more then happy as this has been an issue since a day or two after buying it~!!!
Mostly an issue for the wife & only a real pain for me recently.
No idea what else I would use it for that would be beneficial. (other then when there is a problem)
Gas mileage is good & all of the electronics work as they should.

I'll get a laptop sometime & then monkey with it.
atm I dont want to lug that massive pc out again unless I have to.
So now I will be able to program those new keys otw with the 2 I have :D

Hey Tombstone, I know this is after the fact, but if you don't want to spend a bunch on a "new" laptop try this. Are you on Facebook? If so, go to Marketplace and search for laptops in the search bar. You can sometimes find good deals on good usable laptops that owner's want to get ride of and have had "wiped". It's way cheaper. You may want to find one at a location closer to you so you can actually look at it and see if it will fire on on battery. (A lot of sellers don't want people coming to their home locations for security reasons and I get that. I just bought a $1600 guitar in a shopping center parking lot. But I did my homework and the guy was legit).

Yeah sadly stupid FB Marketplace has become the new selling platform.
Which I cant understand, because their whole search & browsing setup on there is absolute GARBAGE~!

I didnt plan to buy New.
NOT with 3 kids running around~!! (7,6,&6)

Just browsed real quick & it seems the average for a Normal laptop is around $100 only.
I build my own high end PC's, so I dont need a high end laptop.

I'll watch a lot more videos on everything the software can do before I buy one.

Latest posts