another squeeking noise...help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Dziubina

Reaction score
need some more help guys...everytime my '01 4x4 crosses its path with a bump in the road..which is every 10 feet where i live the trac makes a "squeeking noise"....sounds almost like birds cherping or something, kind of hard to describe. can anyone tell me what the problem might be?? its reaaaaalllllyyy annoying and want it to stop!! any help would be great! thanks.

i did to a tt/sl and 3" body lift not sure if it would have to do with any of that. thanks..

I have the same problem with no lift. I did get it to do it only on big bumps by oiling the tailgate. Especially the spot inside where the tailgate rests against. (there is a stop at the top of each side pillar that I put some silicone oil on with my finger.) Like I said, didn't get rid of it completely, just got rid of it on all the bumps except big ones. I've also replaced the rear swaybar endlinks thinking that was it. It wasn't, but wasn't too expensive anyway.;)

I have a squeeking too. I can consistently replicate it by going over a speed bump at a parking lot. The Trac squeeks as the front axle goes over the speed bump. I finally discovered that it was the upper control arms. Goodyear installed camber kits on them and initially there was metal to metal chatter. It went away for a little while but unknowingly returned as a squeek. For a while I could not pinpoint its origin (it wasn't the EE swaybar). Then one day I sprayed a little WD40 on the upper control arm bolts/bushings and the squeek went away, however, the metal chatter came back. Now that the WD40 has worn off, you guessed it, the squeeking is back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this on the tailgate:

1. (easiest) lift the gate handle and spray WD-40 or equivalent into the openings where the handle moves in and out. Then open the gate and spray the WD-40 on the movable latches at each end (moving the handle with show you).

2. (almost as easy) remove the tailgate and put some decent grease on the moveable parts where the gate pivots. Be careful removing, as the gate is heavy.

I do the above every 6 months and have eliminated the dreaded squeak.

Latest posts