Anti-freeze burning and ABS light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynthia Grant

Reaction score
2003 ST with 190K

Thanks to those last week that responded about the anti-freeze burning smell/smoke that my ST is experiencing. Unfortunately, my mechanic still hasn't found a leak after checking the areas that other members suggested. The problem seems to be sporadic, since I drove an hour yesterday with no problem, but then on the way home started to smell that same smell and noticed that light brown smoke started to come out of the right (passenger) side of the hood when the truck came to a stop at lights.

This morning on the way to church (less than 2 miles), the smell and smoke started again AND the ABS light came on. Brakes seem to be working fine, but the ABS came on again when driving home. Could this be related to the odor/smoke?

BTW, when I checked under the hood today, the coolant reservoir was pretty much empty.

Thanks for any suggestions to give my mechanic!

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing that comes to mind for coolant leaks on the 4.0 SOHC is the lower thermostat housing. Often the coolant will puddle on top of the intake and evaporate

before hitting the ground. Use a small mirror and flashlight to inspect the rear seams of the housing closely. ABS issue is probably unrelated. See link below.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts