antifreeze leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Hallum

Reaction score
I keep smelling antifreeze on my 02 ST But there is nothing under neath or on the ground and it not getting hot , but my resvior is low where do I need to start looking

thomas

If it's not the lower thermostat housing, have the coolant system pressure tested. GL

Last edited by a moderator:
Thomas - where & when do you smell the antifreeze? Engine compartment with hood open? Near the exhaust? In the cab? After short/long drive? In the morning after having sat all night.

After engine is hot open hood and use a light to see if antifreeze vapor is escaping from any of the hoses.

Kevin

How many miles on your 02? Cooling system pressure check ought to tell you. There are a lot of YouTube videos available for review, or you can have it done at a shop.

Also check all the hose clamps. I recently replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses. I replaced the clamps with some cheap autozone worm/screw type hose clamps. Maybe three weeks later I was tracking down a intermittent/slight belt squeal. Noticed the reservoir was maybe half an inch low. Nothing on the ground, nothing apparent and not overheating. Topped her off and kept an eye on it for a few more weeks. ..The upper hose clamp at the radiator had loosened on its own just a bit. Maybe a drop here and there and lightly "misting" onto the belt. Tightened her down. Cleaned the belt/pulley's. All is good. Just putting that out there. But, most likely as swshawaii suggested. The beginnings of a cracked housing.

If it is leaking near the top of the radiator like mine was, the coolant will evaporate before it hits the ground.

Latest posts