Any good off road trails in Washington for the Sport Trac?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Mathis

Reaction score
Does anyone know of some good off roading trails in Washington state or even South East Washington? Moved here from the ROK and brought the Sport Track with me. Would like to take it out and give it a good test to see what its capable of. Had to buy new tires for it as I discovered a nail with the older Hangook tires and may have to order the K&N filter since its getting to be due though I wish I could find a bigger one for it as well as a good brush grill with a winch mount for it. Anyway if i can find some good trails with camping then load up the truck and kids and go playing and camping. Any info will help. Thank you

You could take a spin around Belfair State Park west of Tacoma over the narrows bridge. I went there and camped a coupla times with Pat from broncoii.org . They change the trails around every year and it was a fun time ten years ago when we had a 97 Ranger. :haveabeer:

How rough do you want it to be? Try capital forest/rock candy mountain SW of Olympia. Grays Harbor ORV Park just out of Olympia. There are lots of logging roads around North bend. Denny creek off of I 90. Plenty of stuff near Cle Elum. Want to try fishing at lake Aberdeen? Lots of places to get stuck in the sand around Matawa/Vantage area. You also have Mount Rainier. Don't forget getting on down to the coast or Olympic peninsula. Jeeze, the whole state is loaded with places that you can get down and dirty. If you want to get stuck be sure to bring a winch and tools to get yourself out. I have been stuck several times, even in my own yard. The Sportrac being a 4 wheel drive doesn't mean you will not get stuck if your not careful. Washington has some pretty darn nice places to go out and play. Have fun!

I lived in the Tri-Cities, Washington (welcome to the desert) during most of the '90s. Bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee soon after. There is so much to do outdoors there, all year long. We would ride logging roads all over Washington, northern Oregon, and liked to go into Idaho too. As far as a resource, we just used a full tank of gas, and the Rand McNally Washington atlas since Al Gore hadn't quite perfected the internet yet.

Those sound like some good ideas to at least get started with planning. I did pick up a Washington atlas 2 years ago (2012 edition) should still be good to go since I doubt to much has changed since then. I would like to get a winch for it any recommendations for a grill or bumper that would be good for mounting a winch on it? One Area that I think would be an off-roaders paradise but to bad Uncle Sam wont let us drive on it would be Yakima Training Center. Wish they would open that up to us when units are not there training even if they charge a 5-10 dollar a day pass they could probably make some good revenue off of it but Uncle Sam does not have enough vision to see potential in stuff like that. Oh well there are plenty of other areas to go to.

There's an ORV park on HWY 240 headed out to the Hanford site. Back in the '90s you could drive the jeep and 4x4 track all day for a few bucks. Don't miss the opportunity too, to get out in the middle of the desert at night for all the stars you'll ever want to see. Beautiful.

Latest posts