Any help on what type of fluid the ST takes?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning on replaceing the tranny fluid, both gear boxes, and transfer case fluid. If anyone knows or could direct me to find out what weight fluid, syn. or not that would be great!

My wife and I are new to the site and I am very happy with what i've read here on mysporttrac.com Hope you guys will help me out with upcomeing projects!;)

Transmission MERC V

Tcase Regular dextron mercon Auto trans fluid

Diffs Front and rear (75/140 Synthetic) IF a limited slip in the rear you need a bottle of friction modifier..

Todd Z

Nope you said it your self, Single wheel.... No need for the additive then

Ohh, and you can put synthetic in the t-case if you wish..

Todd Z

Todd,

Since you seem to be our resident expert... I'm looking to flush the tranny soon. I'm considering doing it myself using Shawn Stonbraker's project on this site. First, I have a couple of questions:

1. I want to change to syn. Both RP and Amsoil say that their Max ATF and Universal ATF syn tranny fluids are compatible with Merc V. Will these work?

2. If I do it myself using Shawn's project, will that drain all the old dino fluid from the tranny, or will some be left in the converter? If so, how do I remove that? And if I can't remove it, can I still use syn and mix it with what the dino fluid left in the torque converter?

Thanks.:)

Train, It won't get rid of all the fluid in there. I'm not sure how to do that without doing a tranny flush. What I did was install the drainplug and ran it till I needed to do an engine oil change and drained it also and replaced with new fluid. You only replace about 1/3 of the total fluid capacity in the trabby when you drop the pan. I think there is like 10-12 qts. total in there. So using synthetic, you may not want to go that route. I used an ATF fluid that said it was compatable with Mercron V (From Walmart Supertech brand) (pretty cheap) and no issues in over 2K miles. So if they say it's compatable i'd say it's alright.;)

Latest posts