Any help with my DRL's?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a person who drives daily for a living, I emplore you to keep the Daytime running lights. Luckily they are mandatory here in Canada. Why would you want to override a simple safety feature whose only function is to make your vehicle more visible?

What's wrong with choosing what best fits your needs? We all here are adults with both pros and cons for not having DRL's or keeping them as it came from the factory. I feel as if the choice is a individual's right and the questioning is being done in a reprimand manner. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but that's my take on the replies.

I would also like to disable the headlight DRLs as I have already had to change the bulbs and while on base I need to tape a garbage bag over the headlights at certain times as I cannot turn off the headlights.

I have been told that they can be disabled through the computer at a Ford Dealership...

Keith,

Why do you tape garbage bags over the headlights? Do you drive somewhere that headlights are not allowed?? That would be odd since many vehicles have DRL's and most people don't make an issue about it.

You might want to check on several other Ford forums and see if there is a way to disable the DRL's without going to a dealer. I know some vehicles use a sequential pattern of switching lights on and off with the ignition key to enable or disable DRL's. Some do not have a programmable way to turn them on or off and simply rely on disconnecting the Resistor, which is how DRLs get power to the headlights at a reduced voltage to help the bulbs last longer.

...Richard

Richard,

Yes, when I am on base at times when driving through/past some of the Ranges (for example the Night Maneuvers Course) I have to kill the lights. Learned this the hard way when a MSG came running out of the woods at me with a very authoritative voice (to put it nicely lol).

As far as I could tell the dealer has to change it from my research...

Keith,

Sounds a little odd that the Rangers are conducting night training near a road, and expect cars to drive without lights at night??? It would be smarter if they simply closed the road when they are doing the night exercises.

As for the dealer having to disconnect your DRL's, I would imaging that all he does is disconnect the resistor at the headlight? At least that's what my research indicates is done for Explorers and F150's.

It might be an interesting project to install a switch in the DRL resistor circuit that would allow you to turn off your DRLs when you are in the area where the Rangers are training at night, and turn them back on the rest of the time.

...Rich

Screw turning them off, How do I turn them on? Is there a jumper somewhere on the dash's mainboard?

I drive with my fogs and markers on and I will tell you, people notice me much more. You know those asshats who start a lane change, then flip their blinker on, then look? They Notice that red trac coming along at 90.

DRLs work. Maybe they work better when everyone is dark and I'm lit up.

Why turn them off?

I'm probably gonna wire a relay/diodes (so ECM doesn't complain) to turn on the fogs and front markers when ignition is on. Then at least my rear tail lights are dark so the brake lights show better.

If you get in a bad wreck and your safety features are deactivated, Insurance is gonna give you the finger... Just sayin. They'll know.

On my 03 ford sports tracker the head lights go on when I shut the driver side door sometimes when I'm driving it cuts on and will only turn off when I disconnect the battery. I have looked everywhere for the DRL I can not find one, I don't think its a DRL issue if after turning off the car, removing my keys shutting the driver side door and bamb! The lights click on...with an audible "click"...what's going on? I suspect they may have something to do with the wire bundle on the bottom of the driver side door???? Please help

Latest posts