any1 try that purple ice?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnnie,

Yes. However it is a very small increase. However Lowering your engine's intake air temperature will increase the HP output. The rule of thumb is about 1 HP increase for every 10 degrees decrease in engine intake temperature.

So if you have the standard underhood air filter and you can lower the engine temperature, you may be able to lower the ambient under-hood air temperature and therefore pick up a few ponies. Unfortunately, lowering the engine temperature by 20 degrees may not translate equally to lowering the intake air temperature, that's why Cold-Air intakes are so popular.

In the case of the Sport Trac, I think the underhood temperatures are pretty high and using something that makes the coolant function more efficiently is always a good thing even it you don't feel the benefit in the seat of your pants. :D

...Rich

i think u missunderstood. my fault i didnt add enough info. the purple ice thing is an addative to your anti-freeze. but i like ur input, it was well stated

I'd heat wrap my exhuast manifolds before I'd use this. With HP comes heat, and the ST simply doesn't make enough HP to drive the coolant temperature to a horsepower robbing temperature. I look at this as a higher-level type thing, when you've done almost everything else to make HP but are still coming up short, or need a more consistant coolant temp for more consistant times. I'd spend my money elsewhere.

BTW, that "20 °" is under ideal conditions on ideal motors, I'd be surprised to see this stuff actually drop the coolant temp in the ST any more then 8-10 degrees, which really doesn't amount to much. Any HP gain from that would quickly be eaten by the ac compressor, torque converter, or any other parasitic HP robber.

Last edited by a moderator:
The big advantage of using the purple ice or red-line water wetter is for lubrication of the water pump. I have used both products and have noticed absolutely no changes in operating temps via dummy gauge or obd scanner. Our 4.0's need a minimum operating temp of 180 to run optimally.

Speaking of HP robbers. Has any one figured out how to disconnect the A/C Compressor so it doesn't kick when it's not needed. I had mopar product that I could unplug the lead to the Compressor clutch and it wouldn't rob HP.

Latest posts