Anybody bought one?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake Flood

Reaction score
Anybody bought one of the cheap ebay Cold Air Intakes? I'm on a budget trying to get new tires/wheels and intake/exhaust. I think i read awhile back that someone had purchased one. Let me know how they perform if you have!

I bought this one off ebay.. it was like 45 bucks shipped to the door...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Does the job just fine..;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very.. mine didn't come with instructions. I just followed the tips in the project section..Took about 20 minutes to install..(Hardest part was yanking out the factory air box, it's attatched with rubber gromets, you really have to get in there and yank.) Let me know if you have any more questions..

So I've read that several members have done this. I've already replaced my muffler with a Flowmaster 50. What exactly are the benefits of changing the cold air intake? Performance, MPG, sound? All replys would help me decide. BTW, if you haven't seen my rig, check My Library. Thanks, DD

The tubing connections etc on the cheap OPEN INTAKES ( is not a CAI IMO) are just as good as any,Pipe is pipe.

Only componant I would not use is the filter, has to be the cheapest available at that price.

Swap it out for a K&N or Amsoil EA.

Measure Intake air temps in real time as I do (Scangauge) you will find that at highway speed the IAT will be at ambiant temp, cannot get any colder than that.

In traffic they may get up to 150degs on an 80 deg day, thats a loss of 6H.P which is useless in traffic anyhow.

An open intake may get you a few ponys due to more airflow (not alot) maybe 5 at most.

They do look trick and IMO enhances sound, go for it, can't hurt.

I was looking at one of those, but i ended up with the Zabteck.

been a few months now, and Im still loveing the True Cold Air Intake.

Hell it still trips people out on how it is installed!

:cool:

Correct, mine is not a "TRUE COLD AIR intake". Zabteck is the only place you can get that, unless u modd it yourself. The filter needs to be out of the engine bay, in milder temps to be a "True cold air". But this setup works well for me.. I did replace the filter with the decent one from autozone. Anyway, it pulls QUITE a lot more air than the stock one.. and puuuuurty too, lol.:D

I have one and I like it, the only complaint I have is when I first start the ST up it makes a noticeable roaring sound from the air rushing in. I wanted a Zabtek CAI but had to go this route due to $. (Sorry Todd Z.) I plan on moding it to be more like the Zabtek.

I bought mine, and threw away the cheap MAF flange that came with it. I already had a KKM True-Rev Induction kit on there, which has a much better quality flange. The chrome plating was poor (it looked thin, with scratches underneath), so I had it re-plated with a show-quality finish. It's all mated to a chrome Pro-M MAF. I prefer its shape over the straight tubes. BTW, it performs real nice!

[Broken External Image]: