Anybody pull a TRAILMANOR camper?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biznaga

Reaction score
I am looking to to replace my popup due to ageing. Me not the popup.

If you pull one with a ST please tell me any pros and or cons about them.

I have seriously looked into a Trailmanor. I would love to rent one to try it out, but the only place near me that rents, that was in Columbus, Ohio, them sold it and is no longer renting them. I tried talking the local dealer into renting one, but said they tried it once but too many people beat the hell out of them and they were loosing more money then they were making.

With that being said, I am seriously considering getting one in the spring time. Unfortunately, they may have to go on the back burner because of work. Too much money is being diverted to Iraq and we aren't scheduled to get the next ship-set until late 2007, so I may be getting laid off...soon. :(:angry::(

You might want to speak to your local dealer and see if they will let you hook one to your Trac and see how it tows. I mentioned to the salesman that if you go to a Chevy dealer and ask them who makes the best truck, they will say Chevy does. Go to a Ford dealer and the Ford salesman will say a Ford does. Same with Dodge, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota. Trailmanor says they tow great, but they have a vested interest in you buying their product so they will say whatever it takes to get you to buy.

Trailmanor has a great website that has video's on how they construct their campers. Interesting to say the least. Labor day weekend, there was a Trailmanor 2720 SL in the campground. Theresa and I tried to find the owners to talk to them about it, but never was able to meet up with them.

I do know this. They are light, have a ton of room, a great warranty, and are very well built. Trailmanor does not use any particle board in their campers. They are sometimes hard to find used because people just don't trade them in like other campers.

I really wanted to rent one to go to Florida in, but the only places I know of that rent them are far away. One is in Texas, I forget the name though, and the other is in Connecticut.

If you live close to Texas, you might want to rent one to see how it tows. I have no doubt that it will tow great, but I want to test one before I buy. Know what I mean?

The model I want is the 2619. The dealer close to me has some of the best prices there is. A loaded 2619 is only about 19K. If interested, I can give you the name and website of that dealer.

Tom

TJR ,

Did I not read (Hear) that you may or may not have a possible layoff looming at your

Company?(Per TJR?)

Caymen, ...Do we not need to circle the "Wagons", again, as "Union Brothers!".

TJR... What is an "FT" Company?

What pisses me off about the whole situation is that what I do is very important to the security of this country. I know most here have an idea what the company I work for produces, I am still not allowed to say what we build.

The money that was designated to build what we build keeps getting diverted to Iraq. Give me a freaking break. Iraq for crying out loud. Whatever we rebuild, some jackass over there blows it up and we rebuild it again. What a waste of money that could be used to strenghten our military to prepare for the battle in the mideast that is going to happen.

That has me pissed off more then you can imagine. I am not stuck though. I can get a job the same day I am out of a job. That is not the problem. I just have no desire to become a "road whore" again anytime soon.

Tom

Tom,

We call them "G.M. Gypsies", some of the other persons out there relate them to

"Road Whores". Same situation, Different Company, I guess you could say...!

I kind of see what you are referring to, Tom!

Let's all "Circle the Wagons", and stick together!!!

I've hauled a HI-LO before, for a buddy, and they tow nice.. They are low profile so you don't have to fight wind resistance. You need brakes, of course... IMHO, the longer the tongue is, the better they will tow, and be more stable. You don't have leaky canvasses, you can put them away wet, and can be set up in a hurry to use the head while in a rest area. You still are limited in storage, as you have to put everything away when you pack up... the Trail-manor seems to be of a better quality than the HI-LO brand, IMO... Send us pics when you get it..

I too am looking at the trailmanor. Here is an answer I got from the resident towing guru on the trailmanor forum.

Hi Ryan...

I would rate the combo of a 3326 and your Sport Trac as "iffy" but definitely not horrible. After a fair amount of googling, about all I could turn up on your vehicle is that it had about a 5100 lb tow capacity...but not at all sure if that was with the standard 3.73 axle or your optional 4.10 (and the axle ratio will definitely make a difference). The problem with "tow capacity" ratings is they're normally done using a stripped down, no passengers, no cargo tow vehicle...so they usually have to be reduced by around 500 to 800 lbs to reflect the weight of typical options/passengers/cargo in the tow vehicle. And therein is the "iffy-ness" of a 3326 because that trailer, when equipped with normal options and loaded for the long trips you propose, will probably weigh close to its GVWR of roughly 4900 lbs.

Compounding the problem is all those calculations of tow capability are done with sea level power...not a big consideration in Oklahoma where the altitudes aren't terribly high but a definite consideration when you're thinking of towing across the Rockies to Montana and Washington (particularly if the very high altitudes of Colorado will be in your planned routes).

The one thing you won't have to worry much about is sway control/stability...I found that your truck has a 125 inch wheelbase and that should be sufficient to nicely control even a 3326 as long as you don't put excessive amounts of weight in the rear storage compartments.

Soooo, since your situation...given what I can dig up on the internet....is kinda iffy, I'll need some numbers out of your owner's manual that are specific to your truck's 4.10 axle and engine. Specifically, I need to know what Ford lists as your truck's "curb weight" and what Ford specs as its Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). I also need to know how much cargo and passenger load you'd probably carry in the truck on a typical camping/travel trip. With those pieces of information, I'll be able to give you a whole lot better advice.

Ray

The trailmanor forum website is www.traillmanorowners.com/forum

You can search sport trac and find lots of info.

Ryan

Not a Trailmanor, but we just got this last week. 2003 Layton Skyliner, 25 Ft.

Gary D. in CT[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
You really need to check out the Pioneer 180CK. One of the best sellers out there. Has a GREAT layout and perfect weight for the Sport Trac. Guy here pulls one. There are other floor plans. This one is priced right too.