Anyone else notice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Jolley

Reaction score
On the Gen2 with the 4.6L 6 speed when you turn the OD off the highest the tranny will shift is into 4th gear. If you hit the switch to turn the OD back on while on the fly it will shift twice, first time I thught it was a fluke but it does it every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
No surprise as both 5th and 6th speed gears are overdrive gears, 4th drops you in at a 1.14 ratio.

I haven't tested this myself but after you hit the OD button and let it sit there for awhile does it shift into 5th, cause i wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Could be the torque locking up looking feeling like another gear.

Yeah i was going to say that could be what he felt, but i would imagine it would lock up immediately after if your at highway speeds.

No definitely not the torque converter, you can count the shifts up to 4th then when you hit the O/D button it makes 2 distinctive shifts. It will shift, hold for a second or two then shift again. If someone else with a 6 speed would try and let us know what your observation is.

Not sure if you've noticed but the torque converter locking and unlocking feels exactly like a gear shift.

I travel a rode daily in which i go up a steep hill at 35mph, when i first hit the hill it will downshift (revs to 2500) then lockup (revs go to 2000), then midhill it will downshift again (revs go to 2800) and lockup again (revs go to 2500).

Usually going up the hill a automatic would normally just keep the converter unlocked but not so in the 6 speed though. Point is the revs jump as though it shifting a gear.

So in order to confirm your thoughts i would do this. Turn off your O/D button, at this point you think your car is in 4th gear, if this is true, you can manually shift down to 3rd, if the revs don't jump very much then you'll know you only downshifted 1 gear, if they do jump alot you'll know you downshifted more than on gear.

Last edited by a moderator: