Anyone interested in an '01 project Trac?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Piroth

Reaction score
I think I'll be moving on from my '01 Trac soon (114K miles). When we bought my wife's car a year ago, I spoke to the dealer there about trade-in value, and he indicated he wasn't really interested in it at all (mainly due to issue #1 below). Given that the trade-in is likely to be worth less than the vehicle would be worth to someone who's a Trac fan and wants a 4X4 for fun/work/whatever, I'd rather it go to someone here than to the scrap yard if anyone is interested. It's in good shape overall and I'm still driving it daily. That said, it has some known issues:

1. OD light is flashing and throwing a transmission code. There's an obvious kick in the pants between 2-3, but the guy I took it to said it was fine to keep driving it until it died completely so that's what I've been doing for about a year now. Hasn't gotten any better. Hasn't gotten any worse.

2. Needs the 100K tune up. I've been debating whether to keep or get rid of the Trac for a while, so I've put this off. It's still running like a champ, but I'm sure it needs plugs at this point.

3. Front camber is off, so tires are bald on the inside edge. Again, I've been debating whether to keep or kill the Trac, so I've put off buying new tires. I think it needs new shocks too. I replaced the OE ones with Monroe shocks years ago, but it's getting a little bouncy.

4. Driver's side door lock is janky. It'll occasionally unlock via the fob, but not often. Won't open with the key. I usually just don't lock it, or if I do I use the fob to open the back door and reach in to pull the handle inside, which still pops the lock. Also, the power mirrors don't work. (I think it's just the relay in the door panel, but it's been dead for a while.)

5. Cosmetic blemishes (I'll upload photos if anyone wants them): The driver's seat has a few rips where the leather split. Paint is in ok, not great shape. No major issues, but some blemishes. The two small plastic pieces that run up from the rear to the roof rails are cracked. The step bars have paint missing along the side. (No real rust though- yay, Florida. No snow/salt.) Oh, and the factory radio still works fine but the rear right speaker is crackling.

Now, the good news:

1. Body mounts were just replaced a year ago or so.
2. Thermostats & housing were replaced maybe 2 years ago.
3. 4x4 control module replaced about 2 years ago.
4. A/C still blows nice and cold.
5. No significant accidents. (Bumped the back of a Mustang in the rain once years ago, which only got red paint on the tow hooks. Also backed slowly into the side of a Chevy truck in a parking lot, putting a small dent in his side and doing nothing to my bumper. Not bad for 16+ years.)

I have no idea how to price this, or if anyone even wants it, so I figured I'd put it here to gauge potential interest first. I'm in Tallahassee, FL if that helps.

Apologies for the rambling post, just wanted to be completely transparent.

Last edited:

Latest posts