Anyone replaced ST motor mounts?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Long

Reaction score
Has anyone had a failed motor mount on their ST yet? I'm getting a vibration (more of a reverberation) through the body when sitting still in Drive with my foot on the brake. My exhaust guy also mentioned that my exhaust moved quite a bit when I gassed it as I was taking my truck down off his lift a few weeks ago. We double checked all the exhaust mounts and they were solid, however I know it must be moving while driving as well because my exhaust has been making contact with the rear bumper cover where it passes through and has melted the plastic a bit. I've had the bumper cover cutout for over a year now and never had any problems with that until recently.

I haven't had a chance to try jacking up on the motor yet, or to even inspect the mounts, but I'm looking for any ideas. If anyone has done the mounts, how bad were they? As I'm on the road now, can I do it in my hotel parking lot with a decent set of sockets and a floor jack?

The tail pipe of my magnaflow exhaust on my 04 hits the rear leaf spring on bumps and hard turns...

Nothing is wrong, just a poor instalation...

Todd Z

It's not an installation issue. The exhaust is completely custom, not a stock cat back replacement, and has much stronger hangers than OEM, as well as a hanger right near the exhaust tip. It takes A LOT to move it, and it didn't move for the first year or so. My guy does very reliable work and has done work on almost every vehicle myself, my dad and my brother have owned for the past 20 years.

What makes me suspect a motor mount even more is the vibration that has just recently manifested. It started right at the same time that I started noticing the melted plastic on my exhaust tips. I'm gonna go out and mess with it shortly, I'll report back.

Well, you can't really see the rubber of our motor mounts. The top plate shrouds the mount itself. I can't honestly say I saw the motor twisting an abnormal amount when I revved it, but that isn't really putting a load on it like when I was coming down off the lift and had to gas it to get over the lip of the ramps.

What really makes me lean to the mounts is a buddy who had an older Saturn a few years ago. The car had this horrible vibration when sitting still but in gear. He had just chalked it up to a POS car with high mileage, but then he had it in for service one day (unrelated problem) and they told him his mounts were bad. When he got it back with new mounts, the vibration was completely gone and the car felt almost like new.

I think I'm gonna just go ahead and replace both mounts and the tranny mount. My truck is a 2001 and has about 124K on it, so it can't really hurt. Its just 2 nuts on the top and 1 nut on the bottom to remove the mount and there's a decent amount of room to work. The question is, will I be able to lift the motor enough with a floor jack to clear the studs on the top and bottom of the mount so it will come out?

Can someone check their shop manual and maybe scan the procedure for me, or at least give me a quick overview of the steps they show? I just want to know if there's any gotcha's that I won't be able to overcome. My book is a 1000 miles away at home buried in a box somewhere in my office that we're renovating. Also, l1tech or anyone with access to a labor hours guide, what do they list for this job? If not too much, maybe I'll just pay to have it done if I can't do it myself.

todd,

seems to be alot of issues with the 04 adren.

i guess the seller should have been more honest with you and exposed these problems prior to sale :unsure:

So, I've heard stories about the seller of Todd's 04 Adren.

Did they really leave a hamburger under the seat???:unsure:

Truck was bought as is.... Not complaining, Just stating that a clamp should have been adjusted right during install.

EDIT: Dave S, nothing under the seats, just the BS of being in a bad spot, having some one help you out, ( refuse any compensation) and then never let you for get it....

Ohh well, live and learn.....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
poor exhaust install - "clamp should have been adjusted right during install"

drivers side headlight bracket broke

poor rear spoiler install

cruise control intermittent problem

and the tranny abuse

dave,

no way on the burger under the seat, the seller suffers from a bad case OCD :banana:

Gary and your point ??

I can post pics of the first 3... Just proving that the place that installed the stuff did not know what they were doing...

The headlight bracket was from kids, or an unknown accident, a ziptie fixed that and the tranny abuse, Well that was fixed with a new rebuilt ford tranny..

So your point was again ??

Todd Z