ARE Tonneau Cover Lock Cylinder replaced

Help Support SportTrac.org:

Tombstones81

1st Gen Owner
Reaction score
Another thread weeks ago reminded me to look for a new lock for my cover. (05 ST)
As I did not get a key when I bought the truck.

Just tossed this one in & its a straight easy swap.
Quality keys as well (expected thin & cheap garbage)
Its actually the same quality as the oem truck keys!

In case anyone's been looking or forgetting to look.

JC2008SportTrac

Reaction score
I have the same lock for my cover as I do for my truck's doors and ignition. HOWEVER, I just bought this truck 2000 miles ago, and they told me that they replaced the back truck bed. So, my key unlocks everything, EXCEPT for my back truck bed (which kinda defeats the purpose of having everything lock together.)

Any ideas how one would get the back truck bed and cover to match up? Like I said, the cover matches the ignition (currently). I've love to have ignition, cover, and bed key to all match.

Tombstones81

1st Gen Owner
Reaction score
Call a locksmith & ask them that.
I've never heard of a lock being adjusted to fit a key, always the other way around.
But thats doesnt mean they cant. (no idea)

Tombstones81

1st Gen Owner
Reaction score
Info on cover cable replacement? Guess I shouldn't have been slamming the cover down all these years.
Just put in your truck info in & go through the parts to see if they have what you need.

carl beasley

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Tombstones81. I'll give it a try next week. got a cable and 2 each of the Crimp Sleeve and Cable Clamp.

Item listPriceQtyTotal
Cable Crimp Sleeve - 3/32

Cable Crimp Sleeve - 3/32"
  • SKU: 56646
$0.952$1.90
Rotary Latch Cable Clamp

Rotary Latch Cable Clamp
  • SKU: 61249
$3.252$6.50
Rotary Latch Cable

Rotary Latch Cable
  • SKU: 99333
$9.951$9.95

carl beasley

Reaction score
Not so Fast.................

The lock/cable assembly for my OEM cover is a Lock with a sliding protected cable.

Order cancelled.

Doh....

Tombstones81

1st Gen Owner
Reaction score
Sorry it wasnt any help.
The one on my 05 ST doesnt have any cables that I can recall.
Just rods going from the middle to the sides that move with the handle.

carl beasley

Reaction score
Was my fault for not looking closely to the cable. They cancelled and refunded. No Problems. They are a good parts source. Thanks for the link.

Skippy214

Reaction score
I am now in this predicament. I have a bed cover that came with keys, but the keys don't work in the locks. I can't believe I didn't check that before I bought the truck.

I think I am now going to order those locks from the link in the first post. I heard that you can break the cylinder that the lock slide into if you're not extremely careful. Did you run into any issues like that?

OnTrac

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
I am now in this predicament. I have a bed cover that came with keys, but the keys don't work in the locks. I can't believe I didn't check that before I bought the truck.

I think I am now going to order those locks from the link in the first post. I heard that you can break the cylinder that the lock slide into if you're not extremely careful. Did you run into any issues like that?
Sometimes the keys need some gentle persuasion to turn in the lock cylinder. Mine are like that. I have to wiggle them around to get them to work. A little shot of powdered graphite into the lock cylinder can be helpful.

Craig R.

JC2008SportTrac

Reaction score
With love, neither the back tailgate lock, nor the top bed-cover lock are 'fort-knox' stile locks. They're more similar, especially the top bed-cover lock, as being more like the locks you get on 'locking gas-cap' covers. They're a deterrent, at best. The tailgate is a cut-key, like you'd use in a door. The bed cover is not (or doesn't seem to be - please correct me if I'm wrong, maybe age and being succeptible to incliment weather has made mine less than door-quality).

I'd not spend a great deal to get them all the same. I won't be toting anything in the back that that's long-term lock required. The locks will keep honest people honest, but you know how that goes. :)

Todd Z

2nd Gen Owner
V6 Engine
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Same key, they cover is pretty secure if you lock it and the tailgate.