ATF Drain Plug and Filter Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blac Trac

Reaction score
I have seen the project regarding the ATF Drain Plug Installation and it looks pretty straight forward. I'm getting ready for my first Fluid/Filter change and like the Plug idea. Including the one noted in the project, there are a couple other different plugs available on line. The concept looks the same, a hollow bolt treaded into a nut with a washer in between.

I remember reading that some people who installed them say they can leak. Anybody have experience with a particular brand of plug? Are there any dos or don'ts that would help?

As far as an ATF Filter, Ford OEM best?

Because I plan on dropping the pan and will only be doing a partial drain, it is best to stick with the stock Ford Mercon V or another brand like Castrol?

I used one like in the project and it did leak on me slightly. I ended up dropping the pan again and reinstalling it with some black RTV silicon sealer between the pan and the bolt and on the threads. I also put teflon tape on the drain bolt threads because they seemed like they were sloppier then I would have liked. Hasn't leaked since then. I would recommend doing the same. Also make sure the pan doesn't have any burrs on the edge and it is real flat after you drill the hole in it.

I did this in accordance with the project posted here. I haven't had any problems with leaking at all. Get the filter from Ford to ensure you have the proper one. As long as you use a Merc-V fluid, the brand shouldn't matter. But if you want to play it safe, stick with OEM Motorcraft Merc-V fluid.

Most of the drain plug kits I've seen have a plastic sealing washer. Toss that and get a metal washer the same size with a rubber o-ring bonded to the inside. Then tighten the fool out of that bolt and it shouldn't leak. RTV won't hurt either, just in case.

I have had mine on since I did the project and have yet to have a leak. The only problem I had is with the rubber o-ring for the drain plug. It seemed that when the tranny fluid hit the o-ring, it ruined it. I bought a bunch of other ones (8 in a pack) for like $1.50 and just replace it when I drain the fluid.

From what I found was that Ford's price was about the same as any aftermarket filter. I just reused the gasket since it is reusable. (just have to be careful when removing it.)

Mercron V is Mercron V. I have used whatever was on sale at the time and have yet to have any problems. I know that it is "forbidden" on this site to do that, but when I can save money, I do it.;)

Latest posts