ATTN: All Audiophiles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
I am installing audio in my boat. Anyways, I plan to run a pair of 6x9's in the back, a pair of 6 1/2" up front, and a possible subwoofer under one of the seats.

The head unit has the standard speaker connections, but only 1 pre-amp output (L+R channels). If I were to decide to run a 4 channel amp for the speakers and an amplified sub, how can I convert the single preamp output into 6?

Mind you, this is a boat i got for free and I spent most of my working career working in a factory, so the perfect system is not my intent. I want music on the boat and if a good song is playing, I want to crank it up.

Tom

Hey Tom, how's it going? Good luck with the boat sound system!

It has been well. Two healthy kids and the wife still keeps me around. Job is going well (as well as a job can be) and enjoying life.

Tom

I would just use the high input on the amp and be done with it....

Todd Z

any time.

the average person will not notice the sound quality loss... you could install high to low adapters also.

Todd Z

I already know the answer to this and I knew the problem right away. Sharing of knowledge may help someone in the future if they ever experience this issue.

The system is complete. I ended up using the head unit to power the speakers. It sounds good. two 6x9's in the back and two 6 1/2" in the front. The head unit is a round unit made to fit in the gage holes in the dash. I removed the speedometer (It was grossly innacurate), moved the tachometer to where the speedometer was, and installed the head unit where the tach was located. The brand of the audio equipment is Pyle (mid quality junk) but it sounds better than expected.

Anyways, with the boat in the garage, the system sounded great. On the water, engine off, again, sounds great. Very loud with a fair amount of bass. Engine running, the system turns on, connects to bluetooth or FM station, but no sound. Nothing. Engine off, you get sound.

Boat... 1989 Thundercraft 152 SS O/B

Engine...1989 Mercury outboard 50ELPTO 2 stroke (50 HP Electric Start, Power Trim, Long shaft)

Anyone care to guess the issue?

I knew what the issue was right away.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts