Aussie Locker in Front??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Burke

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I've been contemplating putting a lunchbox locker in my rig and have a few questions and concerns. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Here are my major points.

1. It's an every day driver.

2. ARB's and OX's are out of my price range (married w/ kids) hehe

3. When offroad, I usually take it pretty easy.

4.I spend winters in deep snow and don't want to deal with the rear end sliding around when locked on icy roads (if I put one in rear).

5. Seems the front would be good location for the aussie and keep the stock 8.8 lsd in the rear to help hold the line.

So I guess the real question here is Does the front driveshaft disengage/stop spinning when in 2wd? As I understand it, these lunchbox lockers are a bad idea in the front if the driveshaft constantly spins in 2wd due to it causing the locker to engage/disengage on slippery roads in 2wd and thus causing steering issues.

It just seems a locker in the front would be better due to the additional weight up there.

-Sean

The front drive shaft is constantly moving weather your in 2wd or 4wd..

I would not recommend it.....

I have never had an issue, But i have burnt out the OEM LSD......

I just upgraded the rear to a cobra carbon fiber disk LS unit.....

I would go that route and not touch the front..

Todd Z

Is the Cobra something that can be done in the driveway (no need to set backlash and such)? if so how much are they and where can I find em?

Based on what I've seen I really like the Auburn ECTED but that is out of my price range as well.

The cobra unit is $299 plus new bearings, fluid and stuff....

The backlash will have to be checked once you re install it, BUT the pinion depth and stuff will not since there is no need to remove the pinion.....

I think the ausi for the OEM LSD for the rear is cheaper then the cobra unit and way easier to install....

How about just rebuilding the OEM LSD ??

Todd Z

Put a locker in the rear, I had the L/S diff in my ST and put ta powertrax in the rear and made a world of difference. I also did Level 4 trails with the front still open. If you just take it easy when 4 wheeling then you are wasting money putting a locker up front. Plus you WILL grenade CV axles on a regular basis.

Ahh the CV joints were nagging at the back of my mind. My biggest concern with the locker in the rear is with the rear end wanting to swing out of the line when climbing slippery surface. (My driveway is steep and has 3 hairpin turns on the way up to the house) My ST did great getting up in last years 20" of wet snow 33" toyos with chains in 4wdLOW. It climbed at a steady pace with a lot of wheel spin negotiating the hairpins in a very predictable manner all the way. My ST went exactly where I pointed it and didn't swing out on me. I'm thinking this was due to the LSD slipping and keeping the line. Maybe this is a silly concern as I am not a lead foot and manage traction pretty actively. I suppose I could just save the spider gears and such and put em back in if I don't like it. :D

-Sean

Ack! Just got off the phone with Torqmasters.com and the bad news is the Aussie will not fit inside the stock 8.8 LSD carrier. So it looks like I'll not only have to deal with backlash setup but will need to find a non LSD carrier. Maybe I'll just go bite the bullet and have a manual locker installed and face the music with the wife afterwards. I don't mind sleeping in my ST :wacko:

Aussie does not make a locker for L/S 8.8. You will have to use a Powertrax locker. That is what I still have. But it will be for sale when I put an ARB in the rear. I love my ARB front locker.:cool:

I'll keep that in mind :D While I appreciate ARB's reputation and quality. I am quite intrigued with Auburn's ECTED. It seems to be the best of both worlds as a solid locker when engaged and an LS when disengaged. Not to mention not needing an air compressor and such that adds to the cost as well as the list of failure points, whereas the ECTED just needs the wire(s). Anyone have any experience with these?

-S

I was going to get the ECTED locker, and was told by many people that they are way more trouble than their worth. And that the biggest problem was it would not lock or unlock when switched.

How about just rebuild the factory LSD ???.....

Todd Z

OK Todd, I'll bite. Rebuilding the OE LSD sounds appealing so long as I can get some sort of upgraded performance. Can the Cobra package or similar carbon clutch pack be purchased seperately?

-S

Looks like it's time to kill this thread as I have been convinced to not put anything into the front at all. I am leaning towards rebuilding and upgrading the stock lsd in the back. Look for a new project in the archives as soon as I get the kit.

-S